Winter Dreaming - Sailing to Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

muised

Aug 17, 2005
- - Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm sitting here in the dead of winter thinking of when I launch my boat this spring, and am contemplating my tentative retirement plan - go cruising for a year. My wife and I visited Cuba about six years ago on an all inclusive vacation, and I would love to return some day in my own boat. We are Canadian, so the US situation is not an issue - but I am interested does anyone have any first hand experiences with Customs and Immigration (not a pleasant bunch when arriving by airline) and any other issues. I guess there may be issues re-entering US waters from Cuba if we do so on the return trip - sounds like another potential headache. For those who have not been there, Cuba is a beautiful country, and the people are among the most welcoming I have ever met - I can't wait to go back.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Oh, Jeesh ...

...I understand there has been some hassle of non-US citizens transiting through the US from Cuba aboard yachts. I don't know the nature of it, but it may be something to consider carefully. I have added a link. See page 4 regarding vessels. While not addressing non-USA flagged vessels, it gives you an idea of the US posture concerning vessel traffic to Cuba. BTW, I will be travelling soon to Santiago de Cuba, and it is a real hassle doing it as a US citizen. Understandably, of course, since the whole idea is to prohibit all but very limited travel. I know Cuba is a very popular Canadian vacation destination. Good luck, Rick D.

M

Mike DiMario

Homeland Security

I remember reading an article from the Department of Homeland Security. I though it said that since 9/11 it requires us to obtain a permit to visit Cuba. Is this true to anyone's knowledge? Mike D

B

Benny

Hey Mike D

Where have you been hiding? There are no permits for a US citizen to visit Cuba unless you are a media person, a Cuban-American or able to sail a 1948 Ford truck. Nowdays all you have to do is sail in the wrong direction after passing the Dry Tortugas and they will harrass you whether you go there or not. They have also adviced that the harrasment canpaign will extend to non-nationals trying to enter the US after having visited Cuba. I'm a Repblican who voted for GW and his brother here in FL but this is one policy which curtails our civil liberties that is very hard to swallow. They have not had to much luck in the courts but have elected to intimidate and harass our citzens and anybody else they can think of.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Probably best to

visit one of the other islands after Cuba before entering US waters. I am sure that a married couple in a 35 foot 6 kt boat is a major threat to US security. We just can't be TOO careful or stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.