Winter Cruise 2023

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Awfully quiet over here in these precincts, so thought I would tickle your fancy with a point or two of some pointless drivel. Yes, MLK weekend gave us a three day'r to spend some time on the water. Quiet and sort of uneventful. Starter battery really struggled to turn the engine over, but it did fire up and off we went to Eagle Harbor. Found all the mooring balls empty upon arrival picking our favorite closest to the harbor head, then settled in for some quiet time.

When it came time to leave, the worry over whether the starter battery would fire up the engine disappeared when the engine sputtered to a normal run. Purchased the Group 24 marine cycle battery in 2010 at Friday Harbor for $198. We had been waiting in Parks Bay across San Juan Channel from Friday Harbor for one of our flotilla members to, what he calls, sort his boat (de-winterize). While we were waiting to head north on our 2010 cruise, I readied to motor over to pick up some provisions before leaving, but had to use my jumper cables to start the engine as the starter battery was dead.

Pretty good useful 13 year life for a starter battery. New Group 24 of the same type cost me $143 after a $20 core return at All Battery Sales, an Interstate battery dealer. Have not installed it yet, but will this coming weekend. Short three day cruise was a motoring one with either no wind or on the nose, so my sail time tank remains empty. Oh well, we have a week coming up for our midwinter break, which will offer some more time to fill my tank, weather permitting.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
but had to use my jumper cables to start the engine as the starter battery was dead.
Who did you use as the "jumper" to fire up yourself, the "jumpee" if you were still on the hook ? Enquiring minds want to know.

1674493060344.png

Jan 4, 2006
Used the house bank batteries; two 8Ds.
I see.

Don't have your 1 - 2 - BOTH battery selector installed to gang up the whole kit and kaboodle of batteries towards your engine starter when required ?

Got to ask, how do you charge your starter battery ? You know, as always, "Enquiring minds want to know."

Dec 25, 2000
Got to ask, how do you charge your starter battery
Hi Ralph with the inquiring mind. Our boat has an Xantrex Freedom 25 charger/inverter that keeps the starter and house bank batteries up to snuff. Charging power source comes from either a 30 amp shore power, 60 amp Genset or main engine 80 amp alternator. The way Hunter wired the boat, changing the battery selector switch from one, two, or both does not transfer house bank power to the starter battery, thus the need for jumper cables. Perhaps there is a way to do some re-wiring to make it work, but jumper cables seem to do the job just fine. Once every thirteen years; no big deal. Did not need them in this case as there was just enough juice left in the starter battery to fire up the engine.

P.S. The starter battery rests above the house bank, all on a steel framed shelf, about two feet separation.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The way Hunter wired the boat, changing the battery selector switch from one, two, or both does not transfer house bank power to the starter battery,
That's odd, what does the switch do then? When I re-wired my boat I set it up to allow the 1/2/Both switch to jumper between the house and starter batteries if necessary but added an ACR between them to allow charging all batteries while in the "1" position.

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Our boat has an Xantrex Freedom 25 charger/inverter that keeps the starter and house bank batteries up to snuff.
Ah, I see said the blind man.

The only problem I can see is that if the problem only occurs every 13 years, how can you possibly find the jumper cables if they haven't seen the light of day for 13 years :cuss: ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Love to see you are carrying on the winter sailing tradition, Terry. Hopefully soon I will again sail the waters when few sailors dare.

Dec 25, 2000
That's odd, what does the switch do then?
Our boat has two main switches; inverter draw selection (1, 2, Both, Off) and starter battery On and Off. The boat came with the first on, 'Both' and the other on, 'On'. Whether fiddling with switch selection will divert house bank power to the starter battery, I doubt it. At this point not a big deal and no plan to fiddle with these switches as no issues prevail. Jumper cables remain a very simple solution and come in handy for other applications. And what might these be you ask...?