Winter Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne

I know that it is an unusual topic for this time of the year, but... I was wondering what the thought 'out there' was about covering your boat for the winter. I am not as fortunate as some of you that are able to sail all year, here in Canada we get a lot of snow. I have been using a poly-tarp to cover my 25' 1985 MacGregor and after three seasons it is wearing quite thin. If I am going to cover it again next year I will consider re-enforcing some of the weaker areas on the tarp and/or purchasing another one next fall. I guess what I am asking is, are there more advantages to covering the boat for the winter than there are disadvantages of not covering it?

M

Mike

Winter/Summer covering

I like to keep my boat covered year round. It prevents leaves and dirt from collecting in the cockpit and also prevents weathering of the gel coat. With my mast unstepped and stowed I placed a piece of tape every foot along the mast. I measured from each tape mark on the mast a straight 90 degrees to the side, and down an additional 10". I used these measurements to make a pattern and sewed a cover out of heavy canvas. After seaming a rope into the edge, I installed brass grommets every 3'. The boat comes out of storage looking very clean and by using canvas any moisture inside can evaporate. The work involved is worth it as She is ready to go into the water at a moments notice and looks much better (and smells better inside too). Happy Sails to You, Mike

M

mike

cover up dilemma

the problem with covering a boat is that you trap in moisture over the winter when it cant evaporate. when i havent had the hatches open, i have had all kinds of growth inside my boat. boats should be well ventilated and have a small source of heat in the winter if possible. i take all fabrics etc out in the fall as i am sure you do. as the other respondent says, covering the boat keeps it clean, is better for protecting sealants and gelcoat from UVrays and generally protects the boat from the elements. the trick is to keep the cover above and as far away from the boat as possible to allow good air circulation. if you have your boat adjacent to a building, it would be best to build a structure fixed to it and back you boat underneath it. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.