Winter Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Another Puzzler!!!

I have a winter cover made by Genco for my 310. Unfortunately there was no frame with it.:eek: The owner said it was a wood frame but others said it should be an aluminum frame. Does anyone happen to what it should be and or have a frame plan that I can produce my own from.

CHEERS
Irish Rogue

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Does it need a frame? Mine is made with out a frame. It hangs over boom (boom tent style). Forward of the boom is held up by a halyard.
If it needs a frame I would suggest putting it up and then using PVC tubes.

May 2, 2012
LOL .......... sailliny .......... someone just mentioned the possibility of a boom support last night. They also suggested to get in touch with Genco and see what type they actually made. Makes sense !!! Thanks for your response.

Cheers
Irish Rogue

harv

May 24, 2005
-Hunter -310 Forked River NJ
Does your cover go over the stanchions or does it go down to the toe rail.
If over the stanchions then you should have a frame. The cover slope is too shallow to hold up without a frame and it will put a lot of tension on the stanchions.
If it goes down to the toe rail, then you might get away without a frame for the boom section. For the forward section, you should have a bow to mast frame, since the halyard alone will put too much of a load on the cover with a snowfall.
Plastic, wood or metal, the choice is yours. Put the cover on and make your frame according to the cover dimensions. The distance between the toe rail to toe rail frame depends on your snowfall. I would not put any loading on the stanchions.
Visit the boat after a winter snowfall and you will see what changes you want to make in the design.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have a similar cover to sailiny. Here is a photo. One note is that if you leave the dodger up, the cover will slap against it and ruin the dodger cloth.

Attachments

May 2, 2012
Finally got it all worked out. The cover does it go down to the toe rail and raps and sips around the stanchions. The Back section lays over the boom and the front section needed a spine that runs from the Mast to the pulpit. I used 2" pvc conduit and it worked out perfectly. Thanks loads for all your responses. Very helpful.

Cheers
Irish Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.