Winter checkup

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I went to the lake yesterday and found the power off to the Wet Dog. It turned out to be a bad power cord. It had gotten stretched several months ago when a storm caused a dock line to come undone and the power cord was found holding the boat in the slip. I replaced it with one from West. It is a fifty foot white cord and the connectors are impressive. They fit tighter in the receptacles than the old one. It was just luck that I noticed the Marinco vent fan on the forward hatch had quit. It is the second one in two and a half years that quit running. We leave it running to keep the moisture out of the boat. I completely dismembered the original fan out of curiosity and found it to be impossible to repair with out watch making tools. I ordered a 120 vac computer fan (similar to what you would find on a PC power supply). I ground the corners off of it in order to fit in the cylinder of the original Marinco fan. It went together well and I will install it on the next warm day. I will post photos when i do. There is really no reason my us to need a solar vent. I found the fan on Amazon

120vac replacement fan for solar fan.jpg

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Those Marinco fans are such a great concept but a huge pain in practice. They use a NiCad battery, so when the unit inevitably gets drained all the way when the sun doesn't shine for a few days the battery is damaged. I've seen replacement batteries that you can pick up. A lithium battery would be perfect for these.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I went to the lake yesterday and found the power off to the Wet Dog. It turned out to be a bad power cord. It had gotten stretched several months ago when a storm caused a dock line to come undone and the power cord was found holding the boat in the slip. I replaced it with one from West. It is a fifty foot white cord and the connectors are impressive. They fit tighter in the receptacles than the old one. It was just luck that I noticed the Marinco vent fan on the forward hatch had quit. It is the second one in two and a half years that quit running. We leave it running to keep the moisture out of the boat. I completely dismembered the original fan out of curiosity and found it to be impossible to repair with out watch making tools. I ordered a 120 vac computer fan (similar to what you would find on a PC power supply). I ground the corners off of it in order to fit in the cylinder of the original Marinco fan. It went together well and I will install it on the next warm day. I will post photos when i do. There is really no reason my us to need a solar vent. I found the fan on Amazon

View attachment 222330
I have 2 Davis 1000 air dryers on board. good for 1000 cu feet each.