wingkeel dagger board on sunfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
My son and I are bringing back to life 70 era Sunfish sailboats,He asked if fabricating a wing daggerboard would have any effect.Being a retired Carpenter ,making them wouldn.t be a problem,but would it made any difference.My 23.5 Hunter is in the Barn cleaned waxxed,ready for launch in April so we,ve got4 long winter months.Thanks PS beat my Throat Cancer this Fall ,Thanks for all Messages of support Dennis

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
That IS an incredibly interesting idea. I love a Sunfish, that is one hot-rod little day boat.

But Lord the design "problems" that would dictate. Go fast sailing boat engineers/yacht designers spend millions on these plans, so making it truly very effective would be some trial and error. Now, I'm not for one second trying to dissuade you from it. Fact is, I would love to try it myself if I had the time. Sounds way cool. And I would like very much to see the finished design. And for the exception of that it wouldn't come back out the top like the factory dagger-board, (but so what, just haul it up until the wing touches the hull). If anybody doubts that it'll work, just look back when Conner took back the cup from the Aussie's. That year every boat but a couple came back at 'em with a wing.

By all means, I can see trying it. Shoot, maybe even a little ballast bulb on it too for a little more stability, hmmmm...

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
A winged daggerboard might be interesting. Imagine if you could make it into a foil! As Chris suggests though, the trick would be to make it so you could still remove the daggerboard when you got in close to the beach. You wouldn't want to damage your wings by running into something like a rock.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
If you created an actual working foil with the wing wouldn't it try to raise the c/b up into the bottom of the boat. But that would be easy to control and the added lift simply tends to lighten the boat.
Then your next winters project would be to make it a foiling boat like the moth.
Enjoy your winter, you can both learn at the same time and that is the most valuble lesson.
Ray

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Make it so that the wings conform to the hull when it is fully retracted

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
It might make it more weatherly, but it will also make it more tender, moving the center of effort down and back.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 22 Philadelphia
I went from the old mahogany c/b to the "new" synthetic one that's twice the size years ago and experienced an incredible increase in performance. If you haven't done that, I suggest you do. It's class compliant so you can still compete in one-class Sunfish racing. The wing won't be compliant, but if you're not racing, it doesn't matter. Definitely post back if you do this and let us know how it performs.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
how about a hollow, lead filled centerboard? that would be good upwind.

and a laser sail..../rig

Status
Not open for further replies.