Winged vs. Fin Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan Doggett

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Catalina 18. Can anyone tell me the performance differences between the 2 foot shoal fin keel and the 2'4" winged keel? Thanks Ryan

F

Fran

Wing Keel

I wasn't aware Catalina offered a 2' fin keel. I'd be a little leery of it as it doesn't get much weight down low. I have a wing keel and the boat is very stable. My wife and I sail in Tampa Bay and have been in steady winds over 20 knots. Never did we feel the boat could not handle it. It's a great boat requiring very little maintenance giving us more time to sail. We actually have ours for sale, it's a 1999 w/ a 5hp Honda outboard if your interested.

E

Erik

C-18 keel

I have a '93 wing keel C-18 and have not sailed a fin keeled version. As most (all?) of the C-18s built since about 1990 have had wing keels, I'd think the wing should provide better stability at speed. From looking at the keel design, I think the wing pulls the hull into the water at speed. This should have the effect of reducing heeling. A disadvantage of the wing keel is that they're a good anchor in soft mud (shallow water).

D

Dale Hardaway

How much ?

For Sale? Can you tell me more? What sails does it have? Does it have a trailer? Condition? etc. Thanks, Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.