Wing-on-wing with Assymetrical

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Have you ever been tempted to try running wing-on-wing with an assymetrical chute and the main in light air? Is it possible at all? It just seems that in light air the main blocks the flow to the spinnaker. I realize that you should gybe down wind and try not to run so deep but can it be done? for a short run even?

B

Bill O'Donovan

Bowsprit useful

You're right about the main, but the blanketing can be mitigated by throwing the assemytrical out 4 feet in front of the prow with a bowsprit. Check the archives for full details on how to make one, or email me at bodonovan@vagazette.com

C

Craig Steinkraus

A-Sail

I have also run w/w with the a-sail, but found the only point of sail that worked well was dead downwind. Like the previous reply, I believe a bow sprit would possibly help,and am working on a design for my C-38 that would be easily installed and removed as the need arises. Craig Steinkraus "Wings" C38 #280

A

Andy

Bill's Bowsprit

Bill, I think you faxed me your sprit design 1 1/2 yrs ago. At that time you were using fence post(s) Then I saw a posting about a design change you were making. What material are you currently using? Are you ever going to post a pictuter for us? A simple sprit is on my "wish list" of goals for '02 so I would love to see color photos!

M

Mark Ploch

Running

Yes you can but it is tuff to keep the sail out, and it is very slow. Your best bet is to sail higher angles and keep a good flow across the sail. mark

Status
Not open for further replies.