Wing keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Lighthouse point Fl.
A year ago we bought an 88 TR 30 Catalina with a wing keel[our first wing keel], and I would buy another. Our log shows we have sailed the boat over 70 times in open ocean. In general sailing, I forget it is a wing. We have no trouble staying with other boats in the 30 class, and beat some. Hard on the wind, a deep fin might go a small fraction higher,but I don't think a shallow fin will do any better. We dock in an area where we must have 4' or less draft, and the 3' 10" works great. I can't really comment on the problems from running aground, because we just don't go aground like we use to with 5' draft. It does make sense that the big flat wing would be more difficult. Leaning the boat over would not be effective, but turning it 180o would work as well as a fin and "go out the way you came in" Good luck and good sailing Ron B

C

Christian Sava

That's encouraging!

That's good to hear. I was just asking the question earlier on a post about wing or fin keels. I was curious to know of any obvious performance deficiencies with the wing, and according to you there are very little. I have a Catalina 25 swing keel right now and want to move up to a 30. I have been spoiled with the draft of my current boat and find it hard to go from 2.5 to over 5 feet. enjoy it!! Christian Sava

May 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Navarre Beach, Fl
on gounding

we have gounded our C30 several times since we got her. I have found that even given that heeling over doesnt help the wing dont bury like a fin. the wing tends to stop the boat as soon as she gounds rather than dig in like a keel. therefor she is easier to simply back off or spin around on the flat bottom. my old C25 had a fin with the 4ft draft. dont know wheter the extra power of the diesel makes it easier or what but, the C30 w/wing comes off the hard alot easier than my old C25 fin.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Lighthouse point Fl.
grounded wing

Dan It's good to hear your sucess with getting a wing ungrounded, and what you say makes a lot of sense. I will sail easier now with my wing. I did not want to learn the hard way if possible. Good sailing Ron B

May 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Navarre Beach, Fl
the two types of sailors

those who have ran aground and those who lie about it! LOL! my girlfriend although a good sailor has a nickname, Sandbar Sally. if it is out there she'll find it. sailing Santa Rosa Sound they aint hard to find. I was very happy to find that the wing tends to "skid" to a stop rather than dig in like the fin. spin her around or back her off is alot easier than hanging from shrouds!

Status
Not open for further replies.