wing keel vs fin question

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2012
s2 6.9 Southside, AL
Brand new member. Tried searching the forum first with no luck.

I am considering purchasing a used Catalina 310. We do like to race (inland lake) occasionally and I am wondering what the performance sacrifice is for the wing keel vs the fin.

Thanks,
Bob

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Fin will provide more lift to windward, offset by more wetted surface area drag downwind. Probably a net positive, but depending on what type race courses are set and what the sea conditions are. Wing keels tend to provided a flatted profile forward and if your in choppy seas will tend to pound more, would not be the best choice for off shore conditions.
Also check to see what the PHRF ratings are for both in the club you are racing in.

JST123

Jun 17, 2011
Hunter 33.5 Lake Ouachita
Performace into the wind is better with the full keel. The wing gives you more access to those really neat places. I now have a Hunter 33.5 wing keel. I can go to a few more places than before when I had a Catalina 30 full keel. I am a lake sailor also so when I went after the new to me boat I was after the wing keel. So performace vs more locations?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
My PHRF (lower Chesapeake bay) is 186 with a three blade fixed prop and roller furling above deck. When I notified my handicapper that it was a wing keel the new certificate showed Cata 310 WK FP RFA but the rating did not change. I never got a good answer why both keels rate the same, but we just do beer can races so it is not worth trouble. According to the 02/04 brochure the deep keel is 6' 3" and 400 lbs lighter than the wing at 4'4", so it has to perform better!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
PHRF Ratings are a bit bogus

I could give examples, but that would not change the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.