Wing Keel Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hello Again;

I'm about to build a cradle which rides on a rail system for my 310. I need to know what the widest part of the wing keel is and the depth of the keel from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the keel. Feed back would be really appreciated. Boo hoo summers over.:cry:

Cheers
Irish Rogue ;)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I don't know the measurements but I do know the hull number matters. There are at least 2 different depths for the wing keels. I would guess that they have different dimensions as well. I would not go by others info on this unless you pin down the difference in the keels.

Jesse

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
There was a previous post concerning draft. Sounds like you may be able to contact the factory for specifications. Below is the link

Kevin

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Wing keel draft is an interesting topic. I first saw the factory specs said 4' 4" and that was close enough to the 4' I was looking for. Then I saw other information stating the draft was 4' 10". If you search around you will find both. Called the factory and got the answer that it could be either. Then I found hull #1 and was in the process of buying it from the original owner and asked him what the draft was and he said 4' 4" and he said he had gone through 4' of water without hitting bottom. Had the boat hauled for the survey and we measured it from the waterline and it measured 5'...... I almost backed away at this point but liked the boat too much. I have not yet been in less than 5 ft of water so I can't add more than that...:) Have only had the boat for about 6 mos but I am going by the idea that I draw 5'... Good luck getting a straight answer on this question..:)

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
Irish, Catalina faxed me a copy of plan needed when i had my cradle made for my cat 28 mk ll wing keel.... their phone is 818-884-7700.... really nice to pull it up out of the water when ever you want to:D..... good luck.... brian

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I don't know the measurements but I do know the hull number matters. There are at least 2 different depths for the wing keels. I would guess that they have different dimensions as well. I would not go by others info on this unless you pin down the difference in the keels.t

Jesse
This is an interesting topic and a confusing one. I also needed as shallow as I can get and the 4'-4" was perfect. (per early specification) but when I first saw the boat out of the water I could tell right away something was wrong. A quick check showed 4'-10" of draft. (based on the way the PO had loaded the boat, it was almost 5'-0") I had even thought of getting an original 4'-4" draft keel and doing a swap. In talking to the factory, checking numbers, calls with the designer, and support persons we all know well I was advised that "There was never a C-310 built with a 4'-4" draft" That number came from an early specification release but you will not find one, there was never a keel cast with the 6" less of draft.

I am sure there will be debate, I am just quoting the people that built them. With all the C-310 owners out there that check in, has anyone ever measured their keel at less than 4'-10" (wing)

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Has anyone measured the width of the actual wing part, that is a difficult measurement to find Since I have to build a stern support and need that measurement.
I did some more checking and it does seem that the draft is 4' 10"

Cheers
Irish Rogue

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Has anyone measured the width of the actual wing part, that is a difficult measurement to find Since I have to build a stern support and need that measurement.
I did some more checking and it does seem that the draft is 4' 10"

Cheers
Irish Rogue
Afternoon Irish -

You might be over engineering this one. Most cradle's don't have a support as such for the wing. you have ties between the sides and a board (about 3" thick) is laid out across them for maybe 5'-0" long. This is the "soft support" for the keel so there is a little give. When your yard pulls the boat one of two thing's, they Will use little wedges to bring the support up to the keel, based on proper position of the pad's, or as in my case we removed the stock pads from the factory cradle and replace them with screw type pad mounts like a jack stand has. That way they set the boat on the support timber (as I said mine is 3" thick and about 24" wide) then bring the pads into position to support the hull with the screws.

This might help, or it might confuse...

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.