Wing Keel Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest Morgan

I am considering a used boat purchase in the 26' to 28' range, and the Beneteau 285, circa 1985-1990 has been recommended as a good first time boat for someone with some sailing experience. I've also heard from experienced sailors that winged keels do not perform particularly well into the wind or close hauled. As it turns out, the 285's that I'm looking at have winged keels. Any thougths or opinions on this concern?

Thanks,

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you're looking to race the boat, then no, you don't want one. If you otherwise like the boat and it's other features, then don't let the keel bother you. They won't really affect you that much, and they do have their purpose.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
I don't think you'll be able to point as high with the wing, that's also true of the shoal draft on my First 310. PHRF NE gives the wing around 10 secs./mile vs.the regular keel. I won't let the wing keep me from buying the boat.

One thing to watch specific to the 285 is the headliner with the form backing. It's probably come down and been replaced, but if it hasn't I'd check it very closely. Nasty messy job to replace.

Randy

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Our first boat is a 285

Where are you and what other areas would the wing keel have benefits or consequences? We sail in the southern Puget Sound with shoals and large tidal ranges and we like the shallower draft of the wing keel. We also find that the boats sail plan works very well in the light summer winds in this area and have found ourselves making better way (in light air) than some of the deeper keel racers who we see ripping along in stronger winds. We love the 285 as a first boat. I do recommend searching forums and finding and talking to other Beneteau owners (when working on various projects) who understand how and why some of the European parts and systems work the way they do. It's nice to get information from people who know exactly what you're working with and looking at, rather than hearing how amazed they are that anyone would put together such a crazy system. :snooty:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.