wing keel 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mg

i have a wing keel cat 22 and a couple of questions. what is the keel encapsulated in . it appears that there is a small unilateral crack where the keel and the boat meet. which is no big deal to me but what is weird is that the crack appears chipped somewhat . as if gel coat is has been flexed , but i cant believe there would be gel coat covering the keel . or would catalina have done something like that. i also cant quite find where the actual keel (as in metal) starts and the so called stump or inside sump area ends. i would guess from looking on the inside that it wouldnt be much more than a couple of iches(and no i cant tell from hitting it and listening) . i can see a line in the fiberglass outside just an inch or so below the plane of the hull. but the keel crack is about five inches lower still. seems to me that the fairing compound might go down that low but it looks funny. as in not like any other boat ive worked on.they have always had a straight crack which is simple sealed and faired. and the fairing compound is easily seen. question 2 , why isnt the factory barrier coat on the keel too. it just looks like plain old gel coat to me . anybody have an idea or do i need to call Frank in the morning? thanks mg

D

Dave of Nature's Cradle

Smiling here :)

Your comment about calling Frank in the morning, I've done almost as much regarding the lack of 22's at boat shows. My new 2000 Mark II is a swing keel, and is in fact sheathed in a gelcoat finish. It is lead underneath. As far as the Wing Keel is concerned you would have to talk with someone who has one or call Catalina and ask for David Graas. He has been very helpful to me. Happy Sailing, Dave LaPere

Status
Not open for further replies.