Windvane steering and an extra rudder

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Hello
I am about to do more extended sailing. At first I was going to upgrade my autopilot, but now I am thinking windvane steering. I live in Tampa and just saw that a larger hunter lost it's rudder and was abandoned at sea. I guess it had a plastic rudder post. Anyway a wind vane can also cover emergency rudder issues. Any thoughts on this and what should I buy? The transom of my hunter 340 has the swim ladder amidships so it would need to be off center.

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Wind vane also helps with the electrical consumption issues.

Sep 7, 2010
Hunter 38 Almere, the Netherlands
There are 3 things that will cripple your sailboat: loosing your mast, loosing your keel or loosing your rudder. The first one can be solved by jury-rigging, the second one means game over (certainly mid-ocean), the third one lies somewhere in between. For my planned roundtrip Atlantic (Ocean) I have installed a HYDROVANE, which by the way works like a charm! For redundancy reasons I choose this particular system since it is standalone and has its own rudder. Bringing a spare mast or keel is undoable but having a spare rudder this way...... Having it off-centre is no problem (see attached photo).

Attachments