Windspeed instrument ST160

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
My windspeed doesn't work even though replaced with new transducer. Need to measure voltage from "base of mast" to transducer at top of mast. Appear wire bundle in bilge next to
v berth bulkhead. So maybe best place to look and try to identify right wire? Anyone
have problem with theirs ie., measure apparent windspeed but not true etc Am getting
6 v at instrument when should be 8 volts.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245 2013 year model
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well to get true wind speed you need to have a GPS active on the Seatalk buss. True wind is a calculated value based on apparent wind speed and direction and boat speed over the ground and direction. Your voltages sound correct BTW

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
When you say it doesn't work.... are you saying that absolutely no data is showing in the display? Or.... are you saying that a particular function doesn't work... such as True wind data? Did you replace the transducer with the correct, identical to previous, unit? Finally, you identified your instrument as "ST 160" I couldn't find anything on that.... did you mean Raymarine ST 60, Or perhaps Raymarine i60? or something else?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You said it measures aparant wind but not true. I would take this to mean you see no difference between aparant and true when you change on the display.

How clean is your hull?
For some reason my setup uses the boat speed to correct for true instead of GPS speed. So when our bottom is fouled and my boat speed reads 0 I see no difference between two winds.

I haven't gotten to look at that issue yet. It's on the list, just way down.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
For some reason my setup uses the boat speed to correct for true instead of GPS speed. So when our bottom is fouled and my boat speed reads 0 I see no difference between two winds.

For some reason most every instrument system I've ever worked with uses boat speed by default for calculations (true wind, etc.). Given that GPS is (usually) much more accurate it has never made sense to me. Sometimes you can change the default speed source for the computer/MFD, but who remembers how to do that??

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Well to get true wind speed you need to have a GPS active on the Seatalk buss. True wind is a calculated value based on apparent wind speed and direction and boat speed over the ground and direction. Your voltages sound correct BTW
When you say it doesn't work.... are you saying that absolutely no data is showing in the display? Or.... are you saying that a particular function doesn't work... such as True wind data? Did you replace the transducer with the correct, identical to previous, unit? Finally, you identified your instrument as "ST 160" I couldn't find anything on that.... did you mean Raymarine ST 60, Or perhaps Raymarine i60? or something else?
1. No data on windspeed and truewindspeed.
2. Replaced with identical unit according to RayMarine.
3. Should have said ST60

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
You said it measures aparant wind but not true. I would take this to mean you see no difference between aparant and true when you change on the display.

How clean is your hull?

1. When change from apparent to true display show three dash horizontal lines.
2. Diver cleaned hull in April.
3. My also requires boat speed to change from apparent to true.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Nov 16, 2012
Clyde, here's a troubleshooting guide for the ST-60 wind speed:

Set the multimeter to the 20V DC scale.
Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)
Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.
Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes as the vane turns.
Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.
Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read.

Different versions may have different color wiring. Rob

Nov 16, 2012
1. When change from apparent to true display show three dash horizontal lines.
2. Diver cleaned hull in April.
3. My also requires boat speed to change from apparent to true.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
It's not so much the cleaning of the hull, but if there has been buildup on the paddlewheel, or little critters have moved in (usually isopods, I think), so your boat speed reads 0.

Are you saying that you do see apparent wind speed (and direction)?

If you last had your bottom cleaned in April you've either got incredibly effective bottom paint, the boat lives in an area where little grows, or you're willing to live with a pretty dirty bottom!

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
3 dashes on the ST60 Wind mean "no data". When you switch to "True" wind some required information for calculation is not being received

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If you have no apparent wind speed then the wind instrument is suspect. Fix that first as you have to have apparent wind speed and direction to calculate true wind speed and direction.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Clyde, here's a troubleshooting guide for the ST-60 wind speed:

Set the multimeter to the 20V DC scale.
Test at the connections on the rear of the display head, or at the base of the mast (if you have a junction box installed.)
Red to shield should read 8 volts DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60 display head. If the head is damaged, you may need to provide this power from another source to test the masthead.
Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the port side directional element. The voltage changes as the vane turns.
Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2 and 6 volts DC. This is the starboard side directional element.
Yellow to shield should read between 0 and 5 volts DC. This is the wind speed circuit. The faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read.

Rob - thanks a bunch. Those are the same readings I got from RayMarine. Only difference my red
showed 6 volts so thought problem. Anyway surprise. Went out yesterday and just for fun
did the Silicon Mantra - RTFM - and starting with apparent wind speed went through each of the functions
ie., windspeed, max wind, max low wind, VOG, warnings, etc and when got through pushed True wind and it
worked.... so guess should have done that earlier? Thanks for all the help and great suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
It's not so much the cleaning of the hull, but if there has been buildup on the paddlewheel, or little critters have moved in (usually isopods, I think), so your boat speed reads 0.

Are you saying that you do see apparent wind speed (and direction)?

If you last had your bottom cleaned in April you've either got incredibly effective bottom paint, the boat lives in an area where little grows, or you're willing to live with a pretty dirty bottom!
Clean bottom - boat lives in fresh water - delta.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA