Window Unit A/C in Galley Area - interesting setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Was poking around yachtworld and found this... looks like a guy installed a window AC unit in the Galley area.. You would need the cockpit hatch open to run it, or have a significant blower running, but is this something to consider rather than taking up a lot of space with a water cooled marine unit in the locker or losing the water tank under the v-birth?

On the cost side you could buy 5 of these units for the price of one marine water cooled unit.. so even with a replacement plan you'd be ahead of the game over several years..

Anyone else consider doing this, or do it??

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
He'd have to leave his port locker open when using the unit. Neat idea - looks like a C30.

JIM B

Jun 27, 2006
Catalina 30 MKII ROOSEVELT AZ
Here is a link to the A/C I have on my C30: http://www.qualitymatters.com/SNO-13000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-ARC-13S-p/qmarc-13s.htm

It fits nicely behind the companionway ladder with the cushion removed. The exhaust hose sticks out the opening port in the quater berth. I can put an extension on the hose to vent it over the side to make the cockpit more comfortable. It does a good job of evaporating the condensation and cooling the boat. I can also run it with a Honda 2000 generator. I only have to move it 2 times / year, once in the spring and once in the fall. After using it for 2 Arizona summers I can reccomend these a/c's highly. Other sailors at my marina share my experience and opinion. Having used a window A/C on several boats - I like this one much better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, interesting unit. I looked at your link (unfortunately not in stock). Where does the exhaust heat (hot air) go?

coxjam

Sep 7, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 Texas Gulf Coast
I have one of these too. It's an 8000 btu that we used on our C 22 and worked great. Has a remote control so I can change thermostat from my bunk as I get cold during the nite. I believe I paid $300 last July and I think it shipped for free.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I too have a free standing Heier 9,000 btu unit for my 30 Mark II but I realized early on that you have to stretch that accordian vent hose a good four feet or greater to vent to the quarter berth opening port. The problem we encountered at the get go was that the heat coming off that vent hose was brutal and heated up the quarter berth area rapidly! To remediate that we bouth a light blue insulation foam and self sticking vent tape (lighter type duck tape). We wrapped the foam around the vent and taped it securely making the vent a rigid unit but leaving the ends flexible. Now its more or less permanent. It definitely solved the heating issue. Our AC unit is on the side of the companion way ladder or we remove one of the quarter birth cushions and stand it up in the quarter birth area. I do agree that for dockside AC at night these inexpensive self contained units are excellent. The condensation is vaporized by the heat in the unit, so no dripping water to contend with and you can pack them up after the summer and take them home. If you get one for the summer, remember to give the vent hose a good insulation wrap.

Bob
88 Mark II
Lake Lanier, GA

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I wonder...

Couldn't you rig up a hose from the a/c vent of the portable unit and have the hose run to 'vent' in the door? Then you could just leave the unit out in cockpit and not worry about how hot the exhaust hose gets.

You'd have to create a door or hatch board that accepts the hose from the a/c unit and maybe a cover for the a/c unit to keep it dry and out of the weather.

From the way the a/c vent looks, you could almost jury rig a floor attachment from a wet/dry vac over the vent...

Just a thought.

Feb 28, 2010
Catalina C30 Crisfield Maryland
I think the Window AC in the galley area is a very doable idea. I am going to try it. I have a 1975 Mark I C30. My rear wall is flat not recessed like the origional picture. From looking at pictures in Yachtworld, it looks like Catalina created the recess area starting in the 1981 or 82 models. In my boat it appeare to be nonstructural and removable. This will leave an opening all the way back to the cockpit hatch where an AC unit can be mounted. Does anyone know where you can lookup the amount of external air flow required for a 5000 BTU window unit? I don't yet have a good venting solution other than leaving the hatch open. Any ideas?

Attached is a picture of what I am describing as the pre-1982 back wall.

Attachments

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I was talking to someone somewhere at some point about the idea after i had made the original post.. and they actually did it.. Said that the hatch being open was enough. From experience, my father had a gasser that had a similar setup, but vented into the bottom of a sink stand on the back deck. He had to install a blower to vent the hot air. I think he used a small fan type that you can get at target for $10 that plugged into 110.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I tried one of the portable units, never could get the vent hose insulated enough not to heat up the boat. I still use a normal 5000btu Frigidaire either in the hatchway or in the forward harch with foil-backed insulation ducting the air into the cabin. I examined one of my neighbors Cruiseair units, it is only a normal window unit with a plastic shroud to duct the air downward, for an additional $300

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
Several years ago I saw a C-30 with a window unit A/C mounted thru the bulkhead above the port side lazarette. Owner said it worked great, but said he did not like the noise, extra heat or the space it took up in the cockpit. He originally tried the companionway and did not like having to step over it. Interesting low cost solutions evolving over the years. I have a 5800 btu Cruise Air hatch a/c and while a chore to mount and store, it does work well. Bought it on Craig's List for $250.00.

JIM B

Jun 27, 2006
Catalina 30 MKII ROOSEVELT AZ
Response To Stu

Re: Window Unit A/C in Galley Area - interesting setup

quote from Stu Jackson
"Jim, interesting unit. I looked at your link (unfortunately not in stock). Where does the exhaust heat (hot air) go? "

Stu,
Sorry I didn't see your question until I revisited this thread.
I bought a second flexable hose. The first hose goes from the a/c and out the opening port in the quarterberth to the cockpit. Because the exhuast is so hot, I connect the second piece of hose and hang it over the side. Otherwise the cockpit is uncomfortabe - the darn thing blows on you ankles and that gets old fast.

I just went to the link and they are in stock now.

BOB4203 has a good idea for insulating the hose. I have had good luck just wrapping a beach towel around the part of the hose inside the boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.