Window Replacement

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I don't know the window material your using but is it possible to put a pre-bend in it before installation? I did this with the window / lens in the foredeck hatch on my O'Day 31. I laid the window over a frame I constructed and then pulled the ends down over the frame to give it a little more bend than it would ultimately need (I knew it would "recover" a bit when I released the clamps). I let it sit in my hot garage for a few / several days and after that it held the right curve to fit the hatch very well for gluing with very little force needed to hold it in place while drying.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Do you mean that the two adhesives are chemically incompatible?
Not chemically incompatible. The problem is the relative position of each. As soon as the 795 covers the tape, it is then between the tape and the acrylic window. 795 need a long time to set and we're right back where we started from. Bring back the sand bags and ropes.

If I ever remove them again, I will try the VHB.
Can you imagine the battle if one were to try to remove the windows (because of crazing) sometime in the future and they are held in place by VHB ?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Can you imagine the battle if one were to try to remove the windows (because of crazing) sometime in the future and they are held in place by VHB ?
Yeah. It may be hard not to cause some damage. I figure everything has a speedlimit, and a little heat might increase that limit.
The 795 works well as long as I use screws to hold the portlight in place.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
No hard evidence here but you want an adhesive in that location and butyl rubber acts only as a gasket held in place by mechanical fasteners.

Also, butyl rubber is too viscous to press into place over such a large surface area.