Window replacement kit for the 28.5 hunter

T-Time

Sep 6, 2022
Hunter 28.5 Kingston
Hello,
I have a 1986 Hunter 28.5 and side plexiglass windows have lost their framing. I wonder if there exist a replacement kit or if the framing only is available.
Thanks for your help.
T-Time

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think that the 28.5 had the same fixed port as the 31 and the forward one on the 34 from that same timeframe.. some earlier ones were aluminum framed but the later ones had the crappy plastic extrusions that get brittle and crack. I made a couple of frames out of PVC trim "wood" but they looked a bit too agrarian ... I have replaced mine with externally mounted plexiglass and I am very happy with the look so far. A couple of other guys have done the same thing and there are several threads on the forum that discuss the different approaches..

T-Time

Sep 6, 2022
Hunter 28.5 Kingston
Thanks for your answer. I think the best efficiency and look is the external mount. Do you have pictures of your mounting?
Cheers,
T-Time.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
here is a summary:
H-34 Fixed Ports Rebuilt | Sailboat Owners Forums
A local plastics shop custom cut the cast plexiglass to my measurements.. Since you are doing only the one, it is short enough to get an online shop to cut it .. I used Tap Plastics in Calif. when I did my hatch lenses.
A couple of things to note: there is no movement of the plexi once it touches the 3M VHB so ya need a way to position it precisely . I used little blocks hot glued to the cabin side, then removed them after the plexi was in place. I used 1/4" tinted cast acrylic (Plexiglas).
The 1" wide VHB is the one to use, and the plexi and the super cleaned cabin sides need to be primed with the VHB primer.
I used Dow 795 to seal the edges of the plexi after the glass was installed. I used a heavy duty wallpaper seam roller to put pressure on the plexi to ensure a good bond to the VHB.. Not a hard one, but it takes some careful thought and fabrication .