windless removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
I have to remove my windless from the shelf in the anchor well for reconditioning.
My question is how is the best way to separate it from the deck without damaging the gelcoat?
I have heard of using a cable wire saw as used for for cutting PVC pipe, but have never used one and don't know if it would cut through the bedding compound which was applied by Hunter. It doesn't appear to be 5200 as it is still fairly elastic.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
High E guitar string. :) Get a couple of dowels and wrap the ends around for hand holds. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2006
West Coast
It Doesn't Matter

It doesn't matter if it's windless, or blowing like stink, you will be able to remove your windlass in the customary way.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'd think it was bolted in not glued. Perhaps an inspection of the backside is in order.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
?

Your windless is in the anchor lock and you want to remove it right.
Most windless are bolted from under the anchor locker and a locking ring holds the shaft from pulling out the top and pretty sure a gasket aand not glue is used.
Nick

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
My windless is as Seadaddler shows in his picture but it also has the drum. I am aware that it is through bolted with 4 studs that are threaded into the base above deck and hold the motor and gear box on below deck with nuts.
I had removed the motor and gear box to try to access the retaining ring that keeps the shaft from being pulled out from above. At first glance I was unable to locate it after cleaning all the crud out. Thinking that maybe it wasn't accessible from under the deck and that I would have to remove the above deck unit to access it, I reinstalled the motor and gearbox. The windless is bedded around the opening for the shaft and bolt studs and heaven knows where else under it.Thus the reason for my thread. I plan on taking another look with the motor and gear box removed to see if I missed the ring. Has anyone worked on their windless and know if the ring can be removed without removing the above deck unit?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Windlass..... please.

Doesn't anybody here know how to spell? It's windlAss, with an A. C'mon, you're making us look like a bunch of landlubbers. heh, heh.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
So Late

Sorry so long answering
I have my windlass manual and shows the locking ring when you remove the bottom motor 4 bolts.
I will take mine apart this fall to replace the wiper seal,I do get minor dripping from bottom of windlass.
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.