Windlass wireless remote control kit

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
I have a H41DS with a Simpson winch, not that it should matter. Seems like any brand’s wireless remote kit would work (even a 4x4 winch remote). Anybody disagree? Anybody try this already & have product recommendations? Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do not see why you cannot install a universal anchor windlass wireless remote control. Wire it into the control wires that come from your current control panel or deck switches and go to the device's solenoid/relay (s). Lots of YouTube videos and the wireless kit instructions should be pretty clear on how to connect it up. Please post how you did the project, hat remote wireless kit you installed and any installation tips.

You might find this helpful: Installing a wireless remote for windlass on 330 Express | Grady White Boat Owner's Forum - Grady White Forum (greatgrady.com)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have used the winch remote for years. They cost about $17. You can now buy them on Amazon. Easy to wire in. Only problem I have found you have to replace them every couple of years. I also installed one on my power winch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought this Remote control and attached it to the controller of my windlass. Has worked fine since 2018.
Remote.jpg
I am sure there are more out there that work the same.

If the buttons work wrong, just reverse the leads to get up when you push the up button.

When it eventually rusts out, I 'll just scrap this one and purchase another

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
Finally got around to it. Used this cheapo from Harbor Freight. If anyone uses this on a H41DS/Lewmar windlass, just remember the blue & brown are reversed. So put the remote brown to Lewmar blue etc. Black goes to Lewmar’s yellow ground. Line voltage is yellow/grn.

Attachments

• Helpful
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a H41DS with a Simpson winch, not that it should matter. Seems like any brand’s wireless remote kit would work (even a 4x4 winch remote). Anybody disagree? Anybody try this already & have product recommendations? Thanks
I’ve been promoting this concept for years.
You can buy a $15 remote on eBay which does exactly the same functions as a “marine type” windlass remote that sells for $200
Here’s my only caveat…
You should wire in an extra relay between the remote receiver and the windlass bi-directional solenoid.
Also, you need to put 1N4004 (or equivalent ), clamp diodes across to coils.
These suppress fly back voltage.
Look it up, and you’ll see exactly how to wire them
This is important, as the relay will stay closed longer even after you’ve taken your finger off the button. This can cause mechanical damage to the system.
There are a ton of these universal remotes on eBay. All very reasonably priced
Good luck!!!