Windlass requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irishbuckeye

We have recently purchased a 1996 Catalina 400 that has the original "up only" windlass on it. We need to purchase additional rode--both chain and rope--and we are aware that this needs to match the windlass specs. We are planning on 150' chain and 150' rope. We're considering West Marine's Grade 40 or Grade 70 for chain. Both come in 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8". First off, which size should we be ordering for our specific Catalina 400? Secondly, is this West Marine chain good, or does someone have a better source/product recommendation? What size and type of rope rode might you recommend for the other 150 feet? As newbies to boat ownership, we really appreciate any insights you might offer! Thanks, Marianne

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Windlass Requirement

The windlass on the boat requires a specific size/type of chain. You will need to find out what size chain your windlass needs. The windlass can probably be wired for both up, and down by adding another switch for the power down. This option works best with a self launching anchor (Delta, CQR (maybe), some others???). If you are considering adding the power down wiring (my 1993 C36's windlass is capable of this option, Maxwell 500) you should consider at least 200' of chain.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
I would look at the documentation

that you have on the windlass. It should tell you the size chain that the windlass rated for. Also, save your self some money maybe and check lots and lots of sources in addition to West Marine. From your name here, I suspect you all are near or in Ohio? Perhaps you may find some other source, such as a supply shop for heavy duty marine barges or tugs that work along the lake front and save some money. We have good sources for products like this other than WM, you should consider them a last source.

May 26, 2006
Catalina sloop -
Thanks!

Thanks for your responses! They are most informative. We didn't realize that we could adapt our current windlass to be bi-directional, so, Mick, you've probably saved us a lot of money since we were considering replacing the current one eventually. *5 Thanks, ITMaster, for directing us to the windlass documentation. We have it--buried somewhere right now--and should have thought of that, but being first-time boat owners, we sometimes get so overwhelmed with all that we are trying to learn that it feels like we're taking a drink from a firehose! *pop We're not in Ohio as you suspected (but I am an Ohio girl). Our boat (and we) are currently in NJ. We plan to sail it down to Deltaville, VA in about 3 weeks, which I think is more in your neck of the woods. We're thinking we can wait until we get there to purchase new ground tackle. Do you have any recommendations for good sources for anchor chain in that area? Around here, West Marine seems to have a monopoly, particularly when it comes to sailboat gear, since motorboats dominate the market, the marinas, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.