Windlass removal questions

Dec 17, 2018
Hatteras 34C Hayden Island
Does anyone either know the make of this windlass or know how to disassemble it from the boat? I have done all I can imagine to get the drum off except try a drum puller. I’m hoping someone knows the unit and knows the trick. There are two holes in the side of the drum that have steel pins in them. I thought they might be cotter pins of some design that go through the shaft, but they don’t want to come out. Before pounding on them too hard or drilling them out I thought I’d ask.
I removed the rusty cap off the top side of the unit but there is no nut or bolt underneath. It appears to be the smooth top of the shaft instead.
Thanks, Bill

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’d pull the motor off. Lots of kroil on the nuts a few day before - be careful when pulling the last bolt, those motors are heavy.

Dec 17, 2018
Hatteras 34C Hayden Island
Thanks Leslie! Those nuts and bolts at the top of the motor wont separate motor from boat or the hardware above deck. The nuts and bolts towards the bottom of the motor in the picture will likely just drop the lower half of the motor unit down. There is a spindle going through the center of the motor that's attached to the drum above deck. Unfortunately below deck the spindle has an assembly larger than the hole through the deck and the drum is too big to fit down into the hole in the deck. Im thinking the drum comes apart from the spindle above deck, but Im not sure yet what the trick is. Perhaps a puller that grabs and pulls the drum up while a bolt pushes down against the spindle that shows through the hole in the top of the drum. Then again, there are what appear to be two cotter pins that go into the side of the drum which Im thinking run through the center of the spindle.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Does anyone either know the make of this windlass or know how to disassemble it from the boat?
The power head looks like the generator on a 60 hp flat-head Ford I had in a Simca. Easy access to the brushes, at least.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm guessing you won't be wanting to try to save this unit, so I'd just cut the bolts/nuts underneath with a Dremel tool. It is going to be hard work and time consuming (never mind using a significant number of grinding wheels) but it shouldn't do a lot of damage to the boat. Unfortunately, if the drum is frozen on the shaft, you may also have to cut that, but a hacksaw may fit in there after you've cut all the bolts.
I doubt you need to be told, but don't forget eye protection and do have a fire extinguisher handy. Good luck.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, get that heavy copper-loaded motor off the transmission (top part). That will make the resulting demolition of the deck attachment less spectacular :yikes:. Looks like when you get the deck attachment nuts loose on the studs you can drift the unit counter-clockwise and move the key hole to a point where the transmission comes off the deck drum. I'm sure John will check in soon and give you the Navy-way to do it. Probably involves a 3lb. sledge, a brass chisel, and list of salty curse words!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the Navy-way to do it. Probably involves a 3lb. sledge, a brass chisel, and list of salty curse words!
Thank you for the intro @Gunni .

My first attempt would be to release all of the nuts from the bolts. I suspect some will not come loose and likely you will need to cut the bolts. Then I'd get a large pipe strap wrench and try to twist the motor to the opening drop slots. If the installer used an adhesive/caulk (Bad idea - not to be used under the deck as it just traps water in the deck) you may need to heat the area to reduce the adhesive properties and permit you to wrench and pull the motor off. (I like leaving the motor all together the motor weight may help to get it to drop from it's perch. Gravity can be a helper too.)

If all this fails and you start to cuss like a sailor... Which is often more colorful and creative than a Marine Gunni... then having a 3 lb sledge near by may give you ideas that can make quick removal possible. Not saying it will be pretty. After all your boat was once a hole surrounded by fiberglass at it's birth. So you should be able to re-fiberglass the boat is you get a hole in the wrong place.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Oh yeah Fire! Forgot about that fun tool. An ounce of thermite will lop that thing clear and reduce the waste to a puddle in a sand bucket!