Windlass parts

Aug 16, 2019
Hunter 386 Zeewolde
I am new to this forum. Since june i am the proud owner of a well maintained Hunter 386 which was build in 2002. My boat has an electric Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic windlass. Can anyone tell me the exact type of this windlass and where i can find spare parts (looking for a plastic or stainless steel fleming).
I understand that Simpson Lawrence was bought by Lewmar. But saw a couple of sites on the web where one can buy spare parts.
Any information about this specific windlass is welcome. So far found no adresses in Europe where you can get spare parts.
Photo on the boat has still the old name on it. The new name is Blue Sky
IMG_0134.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
A picture of the windlass would be helpful in making suggestions....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
it leaks out of the bottom
Bottom of what?
the only thing that has fluid it it , is the gearbox, which its the White item with bolts in it.

The Deck to Windlass has a seal or caulking depending the level surface under the Chrome Gypsy.
Jim...

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
I have the same problem (same windlass), and dismantled the windlass to service it and address this "problem".......however, I could find no method of preventing the pooled water in the hex hole at the top of the drum making its way through the mechanism other than grease. What I did do which cured the problem is put a cap in the hex hole that stops the water pooling in it. (A little "umbrella" that I made from stainless)
Neil

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have the same problem (same windlass), and dismantled the windlass to service it and address this "problem".......however, I could find no method of preventing the pooled water in the hex hole at the top of the drum making its way through the mechanism other than grease. What I did do which cured the problem is put a cap in the hex hole that stops the water pooling in it. (A little "umbrella" that I made from stainless)
Neil
I did something similar. I made a canvas cover for the entire windlass above the deck. The cover is on unless we are using the windlass. My boat has a circular cutout in the anchor locker hatch which secures the canvas cover. I made a post on this subject some years back where I pointed to the poor design of the windlass which allows salt (for us) water intrusion throughout the moving parts above deck, and through leaky caulking, down to the gearbox. My cover prevents that intrusion. In our previous boat we had an Ideal windlass which had design features preventing any water intrusion.
Rick

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Can anyone tell me the exact type of this windlass and where i can find spare parts (looking for a plastic or stainless steel fleming).
I know of a supplier in the UK who has a fairly good supply of spare parts for all S-L windlasses. I used to recommend them, but after my last experience where they refused to acknowledge a design defect with a replacement motor, I will not recommend them. However if you are desperate I can supply contact info. Just PM me (or reply if you don't know how to PM yet) and I will dig out the contact info.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
There is what is called a wiper seal suppose to keep water out while pulling chain but water finds it’s way down the shaft and out bottom where shaft ends at bottom of motor.
Mine had a minor leak so I had the wiper seal and took all apart replaced wiper seal and leaked worse and year later took apart new wiper seal but from top before putting shaft down in thru bearing and seal I over packed it with tube super grease and that helps keep lubed plus keeps water from chain or washing out and suppose to regreased every other year and keeps any water from getting to bearing.
I have not checked recently but don’t see any dripping of water out bottom and windlass sounds good on my 2006 and always been in salt water and anchor out 9.9 out of 10 anchoring so we do a lot of cruising and anchor more than in a marina.
Nick