Windlass Operation from the Cockpit

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’m preparing for summer cruising of the islands, which includes anchoring. For 20 years I’ve accomplished it with my windlass control at the bow, a Quick (not wireless) hand remote console. The set-up works fine except when I need to weigh in windy (> 15 kt) conditions without crew aboard. In those stronger winds it gets dicey weighing with no crew at the helm. So I’m installing a wired control console at the helm (i.e., run cabling). Day 3 starting today!
Any suggestions or comments?:huh:
Well, it’s wired in and working, but I’ll need to redo a couple of connections before taking it to the islands. All might not be as “durable” as I’d like. Interesting project.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Tally Ho,

Your account reminds me of a similar one of a “marina mate” at Ventura West Marina in Ventura, CA. He had been visiting the anchorages of Santa Cruz Island in the northern California Channel Islands for a few years single handed
in his Catalina 30 (I believe, but maybe another model) which had no windlass. The islands are notorious as a place of sudden unpredicted changes of wind direction and speed of strong winds. Just returning from a visit there where the boat had started dragging at anchor toward the rocky shore in strong wind, he described his struggle to recover the anchor and get underway. I guess he experienced some real fear. He said that he would not go out there again without a windlass, so had one installed within a couple of weeks. He did not say if it was operable from the cockpit, but I suspect that it was or was destined to be.

Having anchored out there 80 or more nights, I can imagine a similar event befalling me when single handing. So, I take great care to anchor securely in the first place (as I know we all do as experienced cruisers). A windlass is essential for my sized boat, but not having it operable from the cockpit at a time of crisis presents nearly the same risk when single handing as not having one at all, IMO.
I don’t anchor all that much, and my O’Day 322 does not really have the space and depth of anchor locker for a windlass.

I agree that a good solid anchor set is critical… then paying attention to changing conditions.

Greg