Windlass on OD34/35

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Considering adding a windlass on my OD34. Have searched the forums and find info on installing the windlass itself which has been helpful. What I can't find is info about storing the rode and chain. For adequate height and space it seems you need to convert the storage space forward of the bulkhead in the front of the v-berth to a chain locker. And that space would then have to be water tight. The bulkhead could be glassed in to accomplish that. Then where does the water drain? Out a new hole drilled in the bow? Through holes made in the bottom of that locker and then into the bilge? (Currently the bilge is dry with nothing draining into it - I'm not a big fan of changing that.) What about access to hose out that locker? Through some sort of hatch in the bulkhead? I don't see any way to vent this locker. Does that result in a smelly v-berth?

Anyone who's done this with good results - your advice is appreciated. [Or if you had bad results I'd appreciate that so I don't repeat. :) ]

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What does the bow of your OD34 look like?

Here is a shot of my new anchor windlass. There is no bow door or deck anchor well. The hole through the deck let’s the anchor chain fall into the bow space in front of the V-Berth bulkhead.
701033CD-AE9A-406E-87AF-9C43E8202DB1.jpeg

29D452CD-F393-4165-B1A2-ECCD3EF627FA.jpeg

Beneath the V-berth any water that falls off the anchor chain drains back to the bilge.
There is space between the roller and the windlass for crud and water to fall off the chain. Will need to wash the deck after retrieving the anchor.

It can be done and a water tight space is not a necessity.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
all 3 of my last boats had purpose-built anchor lockers which had weep holes located above waterline to drip anchor water into the sea not the boat. you sure don't want seaweed-laden anchor water drips coming into your inner bilge , it will eventually stink to high heaven.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes, A reason many put wash down sprayers to use on the bow.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have to agree with Mitch. (Sorry John)..My S2 has a chain locker that is drained by several holes in the hull. Maybe 3/8”? It is totally separated from the boat interior except at the very top on both sides which are actually inside the caprail. I keep seawater (clean or not) out of the bilge. The only issue with my chain locker is it is somewhat shallow. I could have made it deeper, but I would lose foot rom in the V berth.. So, when I put the windlass in, I just accepted the fact that I have to stop and flake periodically. I currently have 100’ of 5/16 chain and 300’ rode.