Windlass on an O'Day 34?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2005
Oday -34 Arnold, MD
I have an 1984 O'Day 34. I want to add an electric windlass for the anchor. Has anyone done this?

Sep 9, 2009
Oday 34 Portland
I installed an electric windlass on our 82 Oday34.
I closed off the area forward of the v-birth to use as chain locker, built a mounting bracket inside the anchor locker to raise the windlass to deck level, then cut a hole in the lid to expose the windlass. I added a drain for the chain locker. I used a piece of 4" abs pipe between the windlass and the bottom of the anchor locker and sealed the bottom around the pipe to keep as much water out of the lower chain locker as possible. It is Simpson Lawrence (now Lewmar) vertical windlass using 1/4 high tensil chain. If you are truely interested I would try to email a few pictures to you.
Brad

May 9, 2005
Oday -34 Arnold, MD
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of a solution like this. I will appreciate photos very much. baysailmd at gmail dot com.

Elliot

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
Windlass on O'Day 37

I put a Lewmar windlass with capstan on our 1982 37' CC. I attach some photos, including a couple of drawings with dimensions that might be useful to you.

I cut the cover of the anchor locker in half, backed up the forward part with plywood and solidly epoxied it in place. Moved the hinges so the aft part of the locker could be opened. Chain drops from the windlass through a hole in the bottom of the locker and down in front of the V-berth bulkhead.

Attachments

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Windlass on a 32

Using Peters idea I did the same on my 32, heres a before and after plus peters picture which is exactly the way it came out, the one issue I had in the beginning is the size of the hole through the bottom of the anchor locker cause the original 2" hole was causing the rode to bunch up so I cut a 6" hole and trimmed it with a deck plate trim

Attachments

May 9, 2005
Oday -34 Arnold, MD
Thanks all for the pictures and comments

Thank you all very much. I now have enough pictures and 3 different implementations to look at. When I'm all done I will post back with pictures of what I ended up doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.