Windlass on a Beneteau 343

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
@BigEasy . One thing I'm puzzled about in your description, what is the purpose of the block on the shackle end of the halyard?
The block at the shackle end of the spin halyard was only to reduce friction. My dingy weighs 105 lbs. Would probably work without the block. I haven’t actually tried this yet, so might have to improvise!

zimboy

Oct 18, 2020
beneteau 343 san francisco
@BigEasy understood. This is a really great idea, it should enable me to get the dinghy on & off single handed. I assume you remove the outboard first, and given the size of your dinghy I'm guessing its fairly heavy. How are you getting that on and off the boat? Mine only weighs 30lbs, but its still quite awkward manhandling it from the Bene to the dinghy - it always wants to do the opposite of what I'm trying to do (good demonstration of Newtons 3rd law in action), and I fear one day it will end up at the bottom of the ocean. Thanks for all the help.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
@BigEasy understood. This is a really great idea, it should enable me to get the dinghy on & off single handed. I assume you remove the outboard first, and given the size of your dinghy I'm guessing its fairly heavy. How are you getting that on and off the boat? Mine only weighs 30lbs, but its still quite awkward manhandling it from the Bene to the dinghy - it always wants to do the opposite of what I'm trying to do (good demonstration of Newtons 3rd law in action), and I fear one day it will end up at the bottom of the ocean. Thanks for all the help.
Yes, I will remove the outboard before lifting the dinghy. The outboard is similar to yours, 2.5 Suzuki. I plan to add a hoist to lift the outboard. Always a trick to get it on the dink!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Big Easy. There is a guy in Canada that created a rather clever solution.
He calls it a “Swing-Lift”

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Big Easy. There is a guy in Canada that created a rather clever solution.
He calls it a “Swing-Lift”
Thanks John, that is a clever idea! Believe it or not, I have a Raymarine radar that was part of a C80 chart plotter that I installed several years ago, but never installed the radar unit. The plan is to install a transom mounted pole for the radome and then install a removeable lift on the radar pole. Meanwhile I do the dance with the outboard on the swim platform to get it on the dink; hopefully, without going in the drink!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No unplanned swimming allowed. Especially when holding on to a 70 pound motor that will inhibit your swimming while trying to save it.