Windlass on a Beneteau 343

Oct 14, 2020
Beneteau 343 Burnt Store
I am sailing costal Florida with a Beneteau 343. (so just dropping anchor to enjoy the day)..
The boat has never had a Windlass.
Can anyone recommend the right Windlass?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure about thee "Right" windlass. How do you want to judge?

I have a Lewmar V-3. Works great on my 35ft boat.

Practical Sailor produced a windlass review a couple of years ago. That might help.

Power, speed of retrival, location and space on boat, type and weight of anchor system are some of the factors to consider as you find the "right" one for you.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes. I have the gypsy for chain and a drum on top for rode or other uses.

Here is a pretty good introduction to the whole system.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am sailing costal Florida with a Beneteau 343. (so just dropping anchor to enjoy the day)..
Can anyone recommend the right Windlass?
Beneteau included a Lewmar concept windlass as a factory installed option. That windlass is no longer available.
I installed a Lewmar V2 vertical windlass including a vertical drum and 3/8" gypsy. The V2 is actually a better windlass than the old concept windlass. The ground tackle consists of a Lewmar spade anchor (to be replaced with a rocna), Crosby 3/8" schackle, 35' of 3/8" chain, and 150 ' of 5/8" nylon rode. The controller is a handheld switch that plugs into a receptacle in the anchor well. The installation is one of the most difficult projects that I have undertaken. I sweated bullets doing the layout and drilling that large hole in the deck! It all worked out very well. Great addition. Cost was approximately $2300 seven years ago, with self installation. Need approximately 38' of red and 38' of black of 1/0 tinned marine battery cable for the run from the battery compartment windlass breaker to the forepeak. Let me know if you need additional information.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
Beneteau 343 Burnt Store
Thanks... here is the confusing part... The Lewmar V1 with Gypsy pulls 1000 pounds and is around 1300 dollars... (This model is for 5/16" G4 Chain 9/16 " Line.) - boats up to 40ft .. The Lewmar V2 pulls 650 and is around 1800 dollars.. 5/16 G4 and 1/2 line)... Size of boat is 28 to 40ft

Am I missing something? The V1 is less expensive.. I am not an expert at all.. so I am confused about what the difference is...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Thanks... here is the confusing part... The Lewmar V1 with Gypsy pulls 1000 pounds and is around 1300 dollars... (This model is for 5/16" G4 Chain 9/16 " Line.) - boats up to 40ft .. The Lewmar V2 pulls 650 and is around 1800 dollars.. 5/16 G4 and 1/2 line)... Size of boat is 28 to 40ft...
On my B323 I installed (when boat was new) the Lewmar 1000 Pro Fish for 14 years now. I suggest you looking at that.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wouldn't use anything smaller than 3/8" chain and 5/8' rode for essentially a 35' boat; the V2 accommodates both a 3/8" gypsy and 5/8" line. When summer thunderstorms pop up and the wind is blowing 50knots, I want to make sure that I am holding fast. The $500 additional cost was worth the peace of mind for me, especially since I saved a substantial cost in labor by self installing.

Also, the specs that I saw on Lewmar's site was the V1 pulls 1000lb; the V2 pulls1433 lbs.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
Beneteau 343 Burnt Store
That is really helpful. Apparently there was an error in one of the website description that puts a limit of the V2 at 600 pounds which is obviously wrong

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That is really helpful. Apparently there was an error in one of the website description that puts a limit of the V2 at 600 pounds which is obviously wrong
No Problem. Again, don't hesitate to reach out if you want to discuss this further. It's been several years since I installed the windlass; however, I can certainly send some photos and give you a heads up about the installation process.

Oct 22, 2014
Like BigEasy, I also installed the windless. I had a great helper. The most tedious steps were the layout. The drilling of the hole (that is where my helper came in - "JUST DRILL IT ALREADY!":yikes:
and the running of the cables. I measured cables several times then went to a local supplier and had them make the cables up with the proper end fittings.

It all came together in one sunny Saturday afternoon. Thank goodness for daylight savings.

Oct 14, 2020
Beneteau 343 Burnt Store
Ok.. do I need a Drum? with the V2 - it is either Gypsy only or with a Drum. I am not sure what I would operate the Windlass Drum (separate from the Gypsy). Is the drum just a backup measure? I don't think I would use it for docking with a 36 foot boat

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ok.. do I need a Drum? with the V2 - it is either Gypsy only or with a Drum.
You can order the V2 windlass with the gypsy only or with gypsy and drum. Gypsy & drum is a nice to have feature in event that you set out two anchors; you can use the gypsy to haul in the primary anchor and then disengage the gypsy and use the drum to haul in the secondary anchor. I haven't done it yet; however, I plan to rig a couple of turning blocks to use the drum to hoist my dingy onto the foredeck. Nice to have feature for a few extra bucks.

Oct 22, 2014
Note. I said he was a great helper. :kick:

That’s me in yellow.:yikes:

No just kidding. :laugh:

May 29, 2016
Beneteau 343 Westbrook, CT
If you’re looking at Lewmar specs make sure you’re looking at pounds and not kilograms. I believe the figure 600 was kilos. The V2 with vertical drum is a good unit. I have the Beneteau standard 3/8 chain. I’ve increased to 75 ft with 5/8 line. Saved the 20 3/8 for secondary anchor. You may consider wiring a switch to cockpit if you single hand. Counter would be another great addition.

zimboy

Oct 18, 2020
beneteau 343 san francisco
You can order the V2 windlass with the gypsy only or with gypsy and drum. Gypsy & drum is a nice to have feature in event that you set out two anchors; you can use the gypsy to haul in the primary anchor and then disengage the gypsy and use the drum to haul in the secondary anchor. I haven't done it yet; however, I plan to rig a couple of turning blocks to use the drum to hoist my dingy onto the foredeck. Nice to have feature for a few extra bucks.
Big easy: I have a 2006 Beneteau 343 and I've been trying to figure out a better way to handle my dinghy when I noticed your comment about using the anchor windless to get the dinghy on & off the boat. I think I have the same windlass - a Lewmar, and I think its a concept 1, it has a drum as well as a gypsy. I have a west marine PRU-3 inflatable (8.5 ft, weighs 53 lbs) with a 2.5 hp Suzuki outboard, and it's a real pain in the rear getting it on and off the boat when anchored or moored. I'd be really interested to hear how you are planning to do this, and also how you store your dinghy. I've been keeping mine in the lazarette, but it's a real pain getting it in and out. (I realize this is off topic, I can start another thread if necessary)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Big easy: I have a 2006 Beneteau 343 and I've been trying to figure out a better way to handle my dinghy when I noticed your comment about using the anchor windless to get the dinghy on & off the boat. I'd be really interested to hear how you are planning to do this, and also how you store your dinghy.
I have a West Marine 310 dinghy with hard bottom & folding transom. I keep it in my garage on an overhead hoist. I tow it behind the boat when using. My idea is to use the spinnaker halyard with a block on the shackle end, a turning block on the toe rail amidship. A hoist line would run thru both blocks; the end suspended thru the end of the spin halyard would be tied to the bow ring on the dink and the other end of the line that runs thru the toe rail turning block would be routed horizontally along the deck to the windlass capstan to hoist the dink over the lifelines and onto the deck. A block & tackle, as seen on a non-rigid boom vang or mainsheet system could be used as an alternative, attached to the end of the spinnaker shackle, without using blocks and windlass.

zimboy

Oct 18, 2020
beneteau 343 san francisco
@BigEasy great idea. I had thought about running the spinnaker halyard back to the cockpit winch for the traveler & boom vang, but your proposal makes a lot more sense. Don't have to cut through the dodger, no need for manual winching, and can stand right next to where the dinghy is being lifted. One thing I'm puzzled about in your description, what is the purpose of the block on the shackle end of the halyard? If I understand your description, it sounds like you would lift from a single point on the bow so it would be hanging vertically. Why do you need a block on the end of the halyard instead of just using the shackle. I'm thinking of making a 3 or 4 point harness so I can lift it horizontally.

Thanks for your help.