WINDLASS INFO NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RANDY ROE

MY `95 HAS A FACTORY "MAXWELL 500" ROPE ONLY. I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING THAT CAN PULL CHAIN/ROPE, AND WITH A LITTLE MORE POWER. I WANT TO LOCATE IT BELOW DECK, WHERE THE EXISTING ONE IS. THERE IS A VERY LIMITED SPACE TO DEAL WITH. THANKS

J

Jeff Cordick

Windlass info

Randy, Ironic you ask the question. I asked the same and found out a bit that I will share. I actually discussed this with the maxwell factory in New Zealand who forwarded me to the one in the states. I believe the Maxwell office is somewhere in South. CA. Area code is 949. Anyway, the model you have is a VC 500 and you would like the VW 500. The rep suggests a 3 to 1 ratio when figuring the lbs the winch can pull. So if your total rode/anchor = 100lbs, they suggest you get a winch capable of hauling 300 lbs. There is a conversion kit available and in stock from the office in southern Ca. The kit # is p71379 and will allow you to have both chain and rope (converts the VC to a VW, look at website for visuals). There are however two catches. 1) it is $630.73 plus shipping and 2) it only holds 1/4" chain. Hope this helps!

B

Bob Reitz

Windlass Info

I have same problem. I ordered the parts from Maxwell to install a chain wildcat to the winch, parts should be here today or tomorrow. The drawback is it requires 1/4 high test chain or bbb. I would prefer 5/16. I am going to go with 125ft and make up a reversing switch

Status
Not open for further replies.