Windlass, chain, rode sizing for 35lb Mantus

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I am starting down the rabbit hole of research for upgrading my Windlass, chain and rode for my 35lb Mantus.

Question 1.
My current tackle is 40' of 5/16 chain and 250' of 1/2" nylon rode. In looking at the specs on several windlasses, it appears that 1/2" nylon should be combined with 1/4" chain. and 9/16" nylon goes with 5/16" chain. Which size would be most appropriate for use with a 35lb Mantus. I also have an S1 swivel which would work with both sizes of chain.

Question 2.
What wattage should I look at for a C30 with 35lb Mantus.

Question 3.
I have been seeing adds for a Pacific Windlass kits from Five-Oceans. The kit contains both foot and consol switches, up and down solenoid breaker and windlass and range from $1000 for the 600W to $1500 for the 100W. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this brand?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
During the winter of 2017 I began my search for a solid reliable anchoring system. The 35 Mantus presented as an optimal compromise to the Spade or Rocna anchors. I liked the performance reports demonstrated by Steve of

When I went down this path, I chose a Vertical not a Horizontal windlass. That is a place to start.
Note Vertical require a certain vertical depth to your anchor locker to operates correctly.

Practical Sailor had an anchor test report that compared the performance of several units against their marketing hype. For me the Lewmar V3 found the sweet spot of power, price and performance.

Rode is as follows from my 2017 records. Yes you need to match to your gypsy. My best purchase option was right here on SBO.
ACCO high test anchor chain, 105ft x 3/8 inch (95230)105
Yale 8-plait non hockling anchor rode, 5/8 inch, 200ft (95226)1
Splice Yale Plait to Anchor Chain (95226)1

This and a new 500ft stern tie line are my current go to tools for the Salish Sea waters.

I still have a Bruce 33 and a Dansforth aboard just in case. They are stowed and have not been needed, yet.

Apr 5, 2009
Thanks John. I have watched a lot of the SV Panopa videos and find his reviews on the Mantus M1 to be interesting. In almost every one, the Mantus had exceptonal performance but he down rates them in his final review because as he says, "The shank on the Mantus does not LOOK strong enough to me". :facepalm: Structural steel that I use in buildings range in yield strength from 36ksi to 50ksi. The shank on the is made from HT ASTM 514 which is a quenched and tempered hardened steel with a minimum yield strength of 100ksi.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Time will tell. It held as promised in a 60knot blow while I was anchored in 30ft of water, Port Ludlow. I danced a lot at the end of my 105 chain and 50ft of nylon rode. But we held strong in the mud. The whole anchor came up bearing the silt bottom clay mud of the harbor.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I would start by looking at the ABYC standards for what size rode you need for you boat size. Then I would work backwards from there.

I can attest to the fact that undersized rode is a real concern if you are depending upon your anchor....

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Time will tell. It held as promised in a 60knot blow while I was anchored in 30ft of water, Port Ludlow. I danced a lot at the end of my 105 chain and 50ft of nylon rode. But we held strong in the mud. The whole anchor came up bearing the silt bottom clay mud of the harbor.
Last summer, I spent a night on anchor in front of Boat Haven in Port Townsend with a solid 40kts showing on the ananomiter. The Mantus never moved an inch as I scratched on solid arc on the chart plotter.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Question 3.
I have been seeing adds for a Pacific Windlass kits from Five-Oceans. The kit contains both foot and consol switches, up and down solenoid breaker and windlass and range from $1000 for the 600W to $1500 for the 100W. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this brand?
Too many poor reviews on Amazon for me to consider it. It sounds as if customer service is lacking.

I'm planning a windlass install as well. I already have 5/16" chain and the total weight of my ground tackle is 100 lbs. I'm leaning towards the Maxwell RC8-8.