Windex Light from a LED Solar Yard Light??

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I'm interested in thoughts on making a windex light.

Rather than running yet another set of wires to the top of the mast and having to create yet another connection at the base, I'm thinking of taking one of my LED solar yard lights and converting it to be my windex light. I'll need to create a waterproof mount for the light and battery and can mount the solar panel on top. It means the windex light is always on. but since it shines up, it is very dim (single LED).

I'm located up north so, my mast comes down each winter and I can easily replace the rechargeable battery each season.

Thoughts, What rule or regulation am I breaking by having a dim light aimed up at the windex always on? I know the "yard light isn't marine (I buy them for a dollar at the dollar store) but I will always have a way to check the wind direction.

Please, someone tell my why this is a totally stupid idea and will never work.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Tried it

I modified one by drilling a hold in top and feeding the LED though the top, Glued it in place and then glued it to my TV antenna which was right below the windex. It was less than optimal.

A better idea may be to fix a piece of pipe to your backstay and put a small led flashlight in it. Worked great for night racing.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I'd make sure there was a shade of some sort on it so it's not confused as an anchor light

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
If you have an LED anchor light I think you can use a single pair of wires for both just by switching polarity. An LED only works if polarity is correct. Wire both in parallel but with opposite polarities and then a switch at the control panel changes polarities (as well as Off). +/- is anchor on, -/+ is windex on. You couldn't have them both on together but that wouldn't seem to be needed.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I've seen spreader lights on top of spreaders to light the mast at night. Also you could google flag lighting and get some ideas. Here's just one of the anchor lights I found. http://www.lightingsales.com/solar-power/anchor-lights.html
The cruisers forum has many thoughts and we've tied $1 lights on stations with zip-ties. Get a stanchion base and screw it to the masthead and plunk a little garden light in the base. A little black tape or paint will keep it from lighting all-around if you're concerned.

All U Get

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think it would be more practical to have a flashlight on your jib tell tales.

The LED light you propose will not be bright enough to be mistaken for an anchor light.... especially if your running lights are on at the same time.

The obvious solution is to install a wind direction system with the display at eye level in the cockpit.... more money, but certainly easier on the neck and eyes.