Windage Issues

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Michael - I am contemplating using kayak(s) in place of a dinghy. I have two concerns. I dont have much kayaking experience, so getting in and out off a swim ladder (Hunter 31 with reverse transom) may be a challenge.

Secondarily, my boat is somewhat bow tender, so hanging a kayak or two would increase windage a fair bit. Any thoughts on these two issues?

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: practical to use kayaks in place of dinghys on a Hunter 31.
Many sailors do prefer kayaks to dinghys or inflatables for getting to shore and back from protected moorings. I know that I do too. The Hunter 31 does have a boarding platform that you can lead your kayak to after floating to get on and off. Just remember to secure your kayak to the boarding platform fore and aft before attempting to get on or off. Regarding increased windage, many rack styles (including ours) are adjustable so that you can raise or lower the kayak position. Carrying your kayaks low and against the topsides both reduces windage and enhances load carrying capability.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Here's a possible solution--get an inflatable kayak from Sea Eagle or other vendor.
KG

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I use my outboard motor powered inflatable dinghy to ferry crew and provisions to and from the boat. It is a stable platform and my taxi to shore when dining at a seaside restaurant; a kayak just would not do. I do own kayaks and would consider transporting them for fishing and other recreation while on the hook but not as a substitute for the tender.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Benny is 100% right! Kayaks can't replace a tender for transporting guests and provisions to and from shore. And it's important to carry a stable lifecraft on board if you plan extensive cruising. We carry both an inflatable tender and kayaks. Once at anchor or moored, the kayaks are launched and stay floated for the duration. The inflatable hardly gets used if we don't have guests with us. Much more fun to slide into a kayak and paddle to shore, and you get your exercise for the day too.