wind & water

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Smart

As a brand new owner of a 1987 Mac 26 D, I've asked a few questions, but have a few more. We finally got it in the water and it sails great (with help of an experienced sailor). Then I tried it myself on a very windy Kansas day, but felt I was out of control. When motoring near shore and into the slip, is it best to use the motor to steer or use the rudder with the motor running straight. I felt I had no control with the motor. Also the keel was up - should it have been down for loading or pulling in a slip? I also have quite a bit of water in the storage area under the long cushioned sitting area in the cabin. Where does this come from and is it normal? Thanks, Phil - windy in Kansas!

J

Jamie

A couple of suggestions

You get a lot more control if you use the rudder to steer the boat. I find that if you really need to using both the rudder and the motor will really help out. Also, having the daggerboard down is definitely going to help you steer the vessel, it prevents the wind from taking control of the boat. When I bought my 26S there was a lot of water under the seats as well, the thing you have to determine is if it's coming from leaks from above or holes in the bottom. My boat it was coming from leaks above, I was able to tell because the boat was in salt water and the water under the seats was freshwater. All the fittings on the boat could probably benefit from being recaulked. I find my bow pulpit is a major source of leaks. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.