Wind noise in cell phone videos

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Anybody have a secret for eliminating it?

They used to sell plug-in "dead cat" microphones for smartphones at Best Buy, but I'm not finding them now. I've also heard you can take a pair of ordinary earbuds, and wrap a piece of foam around the mic. But that sounds a little cumbersome to use while sailing.

I just ordered one of these "Original Windblockers" on eBay. I'm hopeful, but still looking for an option B in case it doesn't work out.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
A long time ago I posted a video for the solution. Basically you can use neopreme, or foam (like from a My Pillow), or sponge. There are many choices of material. You just need to find the one that works for your device/camera.

Try this video. Not the one I posted before, but it is the same concept.

Ah... found the video...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks Brian, just when I thought I could get everyone running around with their iPhones in an old sock and underwear on their heads on funny Friday.

Plus easy to find at boat shows.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'd give one of those a whirl, but iphones don't have those headphone jacks anymore. Adapters do exist, so it's still theoretically possible I suppose. A quality plug-in mic would certainly be ideal.

A long time ago I posted a video for the solution.

I actually stumbled across that video a couple days ago! Looks like it would work well, but you wouldn't be able to keep the phone in your pocket,
since the putty ring and fabric would surely get ripped loose.

Put the phone in a water proof case.
I could see that. I used to use Lifeproof cases, until one leaked and destroyed a brand-new phone I went swimming with. I did have great success with the first couple of them I owned. While a little expensive, I could see buying another one just for this purpose. Iphones are supposedly water resistant now anyway.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll test the little clip-on "Windblocker" as soon as possible, and post results with that. Have yer tighty whities ready!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Gene Neill they do make the external microphones for iphone specifically which is the way I would go unless of course you thought you wanted to use the microphone on some other device and wow they sure do have a broad range of pricing and accessories

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
A far worse problem are all the videos shot in portrait mode instead of landscape. These are sailing videos that are on the open water with vast vistas to see and instead you get a video shot through a keyhole. Rant over.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The puddy ring was for testing only. The main point being to keep space between the microphone and the windscreen. Don't let the two touch because the vibration from the windscreen would be picked up by the mic. Physics.

Good luck and do let us know the results.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'd give one of those a whirl, but iphones don't have those headphone jacks anymore. Adapters do exist, so it's still theoretically possible I suppose. A quality plug-in mic would certainly be ideal.

I actually stumbled across that video a couple days ago! Looks like it would work well, but you wouldn't be able to keep the phone in your pocket,
since the putty ring and fabric would surely get ripped loose.

I could see that. I used to use Lifeproof cases, until one leaked and destroyed a brand-new phone I went swimming with. I did have great success with the first couple of them I owned. While a little expensive, I could see buying another one just for this purpose. Iphones are supposedly water resistant now anyway.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll test the little clip-on "Windblocker" as soon as possible, and post results with that. Have yer tighty whities ready!
It wouldn't be for the waterproof capability it would be for the sound transfer diaphragm they use to transfer sound.