Wind conditions and handling a Cat 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa Woodburn

Hi. I haven't yet had the pleasure of sailing my new (old) Catalina 22 in winds greater than 10 knots, and maybe not even that much. Was curious as to when things can get "hairy", especially without an experienced crew on board... Around what wind conditions would you advise a single-handed sailor to have an extra person on board for weight when heeling (or to pick me up if I fall off!)? When would you advise an extra 2 people? At what wind predictions would you head out with just the jib? (my rigging is backwards and I've not yet taken the mast down to fix it - the mainsail halyard is on the jib's side and has no winch to help me raise the main, it's a good workout, but I'd rather not raise the main if I'm going to have to reef it!) I've been advised to just use the motor if the winds are >20 knots :). What wind conditions would even make motoring unfeasable? IE: what kind of winds will push the boat off course too much to even motor over to the marina? I sail an inland lake, so tides and waves do not have much of an effect here, but wind shifts and monsoons do. Thanks a bunch in advance for any advise! Lisa

R

Randy

singlehanding in high winds

Lisa Congrats on your new boat, and singlehanding. I've found the 22 has just the right space for one person, in any wind, I've opted for an auto tiller instead of a crew, more dependable and more reliable. I'm one to push things to extreme so I think any wind will do. I've sailed safely by myself in winds up to 50 knots but remember. when shit happens, it happens fast at 50 knots, as you learn to sail more confident, you'll push yourself a little further each time. you make the decision on where the safe limmit is for you and it would be wise to stay within that limmit. The 22 is one of the most forgiving boats ever built and in pinch, will take you home in any weather, The best advice I could give, when things get hairy, turn it lose, the boat will round-up and come to a stop, in any wind..... As for falling off, invest in a safety harness and tether, Randy C22 MKll "Dream Chaser"

J

Joe

Fix the rigging....

...you need the main to balance the boat as wind conditions change. I recommend a harness/tether for yourself while singlehanding... and an autohelm or some device to tie off the tiller so you can work the sails with both hands. Take some sailing lessons or read instructional books on sail trim, i.e. learn to BALANCE THE HELM. You shouldn't take the boat out in high winds if it is not rigged to accommodate those conditions. Sailing with jib only limits your pointing ability and might make it difficult to get back to the marina. You should be able to balance the helm with main/jib adjustments in wind up to 18-20 kts before needing a reef. Remember, "when in doubt, let it out".

L

Lisa Woodburn

Thanks..

...I appreciate all the advice. By the way, I have taken lessons with an ASA instructor, who, as a matter of fact, advised me to perhaps use just my jib in stronger winds (maybe due to my rigging & when I singlehand) and to just motor in over 20 mile winds. (This instructor also advised me to keep the keel unlocked in case of running into any logs, etc. underwater - but that's another discussion). I was really curious about how the Cat 22 handled in the various winds. A friend with a Hunter 23 sailed with me one day when 24 mile winds were predicted - both sails up :) - to check the Catalina out, but the winds never got that high that day. (By the way, he admitted he thought he liked the way the Catalina handled better than the Hunter!)

W

WalterK

rigging

Lisa, It sounds from your post that the mast-mounted winch is on the side of the mast with the jib halyard (port) and not the main halyard (starboard). That's the way is is on my boat as well. I don't think that that's necessarily backwards, however, because the while I use the winch to tension the jib, I hoist the main all the way up by hand (easy if heading into the wind) and use a downhaul to set the tension. I'm considering adding a block to the boom and leading the line aft so I can adjust tension from the cockpit. Anyway, practice reefing the main and get comfortable with it. I've tried main alone, jib alone, genny alone, and found that the best balanced, most comfortable sailing in heavier winds is under reefed main and jib. If the wind is really up I'll set the reefing lines before I drop the mooring, and set the main with the reef. A benefit is that if you (or your crew) wants to stop the boat temporarily, you can heave to easily under this set up. Simply tack without releasing the jib sheet and then try to tack back into the wind. The backwinded jib won't let you, and the boat with just drift slightly. Its great when you need to leave the helm for a moment. Also, I second the notion of sailing with a tiller pilot type autohelm. Makes tacking much easier. Walter.

G

Geoff Atkinson

Wind conditions

Lisa, If you sail short handed, have you thought about a furler? I have the CDI on my boat, an 89' catalina 22 and we love it. When my wife has to tend our children, i can sail the boat alone. I can even reduce head sail without a problem. Geoff

R

Richard Dashiell

Second set of reefing lines/grommets

Lisa, Adding a second set of reefing lines/grommets three feet above the original set was my (cheaper) solution to sailing solo in brisk winds. Also added to my sail inventory (expensive solution) was a 60/60 jib, (60% hoist and 60% fly), custom made by C&C Sails in Houston. Both improvements were decided upon after single-handed cruising from Corpus Christi Bay to Galveston Bay, Texas (180 plus miles) through the Inter Coastal Waterway. Introduce your friends to sailing. I now enjoy the beautiful company of a first-mate and plenty of available crew. I hardly have to (get to) handle the tiller anymore. In high winds remember to wear your PFD, replace your companion cover and hatches, reef your mainsail, change to a smaller jib, rig a lifeline, and tether yourself to the boat. P.S., howling at the wind like a crazed viking doesn't really help much. HAVE FUN! Richard Dashiell "OASIS" 14029

A

A K. Moser

Wind conditions

You have been given some good advice by the others. My only advice is to push your limits gradually and learn for yourself what you and your boat can handle. Re your question about motoring into the wind - that would depend greatly on the associated wave conditions and what you have for a motor. If it will get you where you want in 10 knots of wind then next try it at 15 and then at 20. Same for sailing. Sailing in 10-20 knots is fun. Over 20 it gets to be work but is very enjoyable if you know what you are doing. At 30 you will probably see few other people on the lake, so take note. At 40 you will see no one. And 50? I guess it is probably nice to have sailed a 22ft. boat in 50 knots of wind and lived to tell about it but most of us don't really know much about that.

L

Lisa Woodburn

Great advice!

Thanks for all responses. Seems you've had some fun & interesting experiences! Is the 60/60 jib that was suggested also considered a "storm jib"? Got one of those.. You've all convinced me to reef the main and not sail jib alone in heavier winds- I'll practice next week when I'm back on the water! We had great wind early this morning - white caps on the lake - but I was sailing on a friend's Hunter instead of my Cat, so again, couldn't experience how the Cat would handle. (Only motored the Cat from the dock to the ramp today and yesterday just had very light wind when single-handing the Cat) I'd love a furler, as suggested, but that's not yet in the budget (got to overhaul my trailer and some other stuff first). My "autotiller" currently consists of a) my seven year old son when along (MAJOR investment, but not to be used on strong wind days) or b) a rope around the stern cleats and the tiller (definitely within budget) :) Will check into a harness... As for a sailing crew - I first want to get the kinks out of my old boat and trailer and be competent at single handing my boat (and not scare my non-sailing friends from sailing!). Am looking forward to having a pre-tax-season-gals'-sailing-party on Super Bowl Sunday for about 12-15 friends who've put up with all my boat talk the past coupla months (all women CPA's)- so hopefully will be experienced enough by then to show everyone a safe and fun time. Got a couple of guy boat owners lined up to host this with me (easy to convince them with that many women going! - even on Superbowl Sunday!), so we'll have plenty of room, & assistance if needed for everyone on the water. I'm sure we'll all have many more offers to crew after that :) Sorry if this was too lengthy! Got boat on the mind! Appreciate all the advice! Happy holidays & happy sailing! Lisa

R

Robert W. Bonney

Wind Conditions

I agree completely with Mr. Moser's response. You should ease into testing the higher winds. 10 - 20 knots is great. I have sailed my Cat 22 MkII in 40 knot winds single-handed, but I (and the weather service) were caught completely by surprise on that. I certainly would not have left the marina under those conditions. However, my Cat handled very well and was very forgiving even under those conditions. You need to know your limits and advance at a pace that is comfortable to you.

J

Jack Cleary

Wind Conditions

Lisa, Great question and great responses! I am just a year ahead of you and actually had my '88 C22's maiden (for me) voyage in 22 knot winds .... purely by accident! I didn't raise my main because there was just too much wind combined with too little experience. Later, I found out that the weather service had issued a small craft warning! Here is a web site with descriptions by mph and knts http://www.react.ie/Geography/Wind.htm. It might help you decide what is too windy and what is not. Remember, 20mph is not the same as 20knts! Because I single-hand about 50% of the time, I have two things to help me in heavy weather ... 1) Roller furling so I can adjust the size of the jib and 2) jiffy reefing main ... so I can adjust the size of the main ... The jiffy reefing system (which is probably already on your boom) only requires a few minutes before you leave the dock to set up. After you are out and you decide that you are heeling over too much (losing wind out your sail anyway), it just takes a few minutes to point into the wind, jiffy reef and get going again ... I had to do this about 4 or 5 times this summer and fall because of thunder and lightening storms that swept in. Feel free to write me at jackflash1959@yahoo.com Jack

J

John J

Wind Conditions

We had a Cat 25 on a windy lake in Kansas. After trying main only and jib only, we decided that both balanced the boat so much better, not to mentin the added control. For us, when we double reefed and had the jib up, the boat almost always balanced regardless of wind speed. Every boat is a little different so trial and error is the best educator. If you don't have a second set of reef points you may want to consider this inexpensive and safe option. Your guests will appreciate it also. We now have a Cat 310 and in 20+ it tends to heel to a certain point, then just gets in the groove and stays there. Good luck and enjoy the 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.