Wind angle

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
My boat has a Simrad 20 wind indicator. I was out sailing yesterday and the instrument is showing wind speed But no angle. What's up, looks like the sending unit is still at the masthead. I know my friends on this site will have the answer! Please don't make me go up there!

what's

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Likely you're going to go up there. It's probably stuck. Go sail around it a circle and see if the angle bit turns.

Could be a wiring issue too, but that's pretty rare.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are you getting a constant angle or no number at all? A constant angle could mean the sender is stuck from a spiderweb or something. If that’s the case it’ll probably shake free on its own. If you’re not getting any number then something probably went wrong inside the sender.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Slider,
In my area it is common for the wind vane at the masthead to be fouled by spider webs, aggravated by cottonwood seeds (sort of like giant dandelion seeds) getting caught in them. Often a good storm will free the wind vane, but sometimes not. The anemometer also gets hung up and the spider web threads wrap around the shaft. You may have a similar problem with your local flora and fauna, or just dirt. The wind vane can be removed to be cleaned and remounted, or you could buy a replacement wind vane and install that. It just plugs in and is held down with plastic/nylon nut. If you have the typical Raymarine instruments be sure to get the right generation wind vane to fit your instruments.

You might also want to check the connections, typically to a little junction box under the base of the mast, at the breaker panel, and at the instrument. Those little tiny wires can pull loose or get wet. I think they are only 24 or 28 gauge.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Has anyone ever tried to use a drone to inspect the top of their mast? It just occurred to me that it might be an easy way to find a visible problem (such as spiderwebs)--if you have access to a drone. I'll bet a friend with a drone would love to help with something like that.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Well Guys, I need to go up the mast. I went out on another sail and we had winds up to 20K. The vane is pointing into the wind and is stuck. If I falloff to about 90 degrees it stays pointing to the bow of the boat! I will let you know what I find next trip. Thanks for your responses.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Try sailing in circles. The webs will break after 6 circles or so. beats climbing or dropping the mast. Worth a try, worked for me.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for trying to go in some circles. Also look for some powerboat wakes to swing the top of the mast around. Although if it’s been several weeks already it might not fix itself. The spider web problems I’ve experience have broken down after a week or two tops.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Or just go up the mast, it's not that bad. I use a climbing harness, I don't trust a bosun's chair.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Well sailors, I went up the 57 feet today! The wind vain on the IS20 simrad was not covered with spider webs! I was able to turn it with none finger and it squeaks, the gauge works when I turn it. that is the good news, The wind is not able to turn it. I sprayed it with WD40, no dice! It does not look like it can be taken apart and fixed, So it looks like I need a new sending unit. The other good news, we sailed SF Bay in 15 to 20k winds and temps were around 60 t0 65, agreat day of sailing!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Though the instrument was not working you were able to practice your mental sailing skills and enjoy the wind angle reflecting in the boat under your control.

I sometimes wonder. Does the instrument cause the effect of sailing at a specific wind angle or is that centered in the boat and the skipper. The instrument acts as a mirror reflecting an attaboy, you did it. Perhaps sharpening sailing skills through practice gives one the opportunity to look beyond the cockpit and apply ones senses rather that relying on a malfunction sensor.

It’s just a theory.

I’m happy for you having a great day on the Bay. It is a wonderful place to sail.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Simrad states, "must replace the wind sensor, no repair for this part" The newer part 608 will replace and has repair options $549. Currently out of stock until April. Well wind speed still works and the manual wind vane works, just gives me a pain in the neck!

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Slider,

These parts are often available on eBay for a discount. Some are new in the package and some are not. As with anything on eBay, use your own judgment about the reliability of the supplier. I've had mostly good luck.

Sometimes Amazon can also turn up a surprise source.

In the interim, it can be helpful to put some strips or yarn or similar indicators on the shrouds to give an indication of the wind, as on a sailing dinghy. I did this for a year while my wind instruments were out, and it was sometimes helpful as a quick check after a tack or gybe to see if I was at the angle I had last time, or if I was too deep.

Going nearly dead downwind, the instruments are slow and not reliable, probably because of the upflow from the main. The apparent wind will be shifty. Often the feel of the wind on the back of my neck is as good an indicator as any for whether I am starting to sail by the lee or a little high, but this method doesn't work for everyone. Dennis Conner said he would get a haircut before a big race to better feel the wind on his neck.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
... I sprayed it with WD40, no dice! ...
FYI, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent so while it can help things to free up it will not make them more slippery after the volatiles flash off. I better choice would be a light machine oil.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Has anyone ever tried to use a drone to inspect the top of their mast? It just occurred to me that it might be an easy way to find a visible problem (such as spiderwebs)--if you have access to a drone. I'll bet a friend with a drone would love to help with something like that.
Whenever one of you technically advanced sailors invents a drone with a wrench , I’ll be first in line to buy it.