Winches

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
My South Coast 22 has winches on the sides and tracks with blocks for a head sail. I assume these have been added as I see very few pictures out there with the same boat with winches.

My question is why? The jib sheets run through fairleads to cam cleats on the cabin roof. I have also never found a time that the jib couldn't be trimmed by hand.

Would these be for long lost Genoa or huge jib? It seems overkill, and I've never used winches. Am I missing something?

Pics should show winches and how my sheets run.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I see what you mean. It seems like the winch should be where the red arrow is and your cam should be where the blue arrow is..

1604414620137.png

Also, your fairlead is going to take a lot of stress and IMHO is not designed for that. The fairlead should be a standing block like this

1604414751578.png

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It's a tortured lead for sure, needs to be remounted as a RGRANGER pointed out it needs a proper lead block.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My South Coast 22 has winches on the sides and tracks with blocks for a head sail. I assume these have been added as I see very few pictures out there with the same boat with winches.

Would these be for long lost Genoa or huge jib? It seems overkill, and I've never used winches. Am I missing something?
That would have been a very large genoa. PO probably found out it was too much.
I agree with the previous posts. That fairlead/cleat combo could be improved. Make sure it has a good backing plate or large washers.

Jan 19, 2010
My South Coast 22 has winches on the sides and tracks with blocks for a head sail
Maybe you could repurpose those tracks. Move the tracks up onto the cabin top and run your jib sheet through the block and to the repositioned winch????

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I can't imagine what they were used for. The tracks run aft of the winches right now. It is an odd set up for sure. I may just relocate them to the cabin roof with new jib sheet blocks. Or I may just keep sailing it as it is.

Jan 19, 2010
I can't imagine what they were used for.
I think @Justin_NSA guessed right. I imagine the sheet of a large genoa being run to the block on the track and then back to the winch... BUT... that could make a nice set up if you relocated the track and winch to the cabin top.

My present boat has a fixed block on the cabin for the jib sheet and I'm not a fan. It would be nice to be able to move the lead. If you decide to move the track up onto the cabin top, angle it a little so that the lead is more outboard as you move the car forward and more inboard as you bring the car aft. You generally want a flatter jib when pointing and moving the car aft flattens the jib... and you can point a little higher if your jib is more inboard when pointing. Conversly you want a fuller jib when on a reach or running and having the lead more outboard will let you catch more air.