Winches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2010
Oday 25 Cooperstown, NY
Hello all. I'm relatively new to all this so hopefully I'm not rehashing something.

I own a 1983 O'Day 25 and I have a winches that does not turn. It was working fine last season.

Does that mean it has seized? If so what or why has this happened?

Is there some approach to fixing this or is this the sort of thing that is better to just replace?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hello all. I'm relatively new to all this so hopefully I'm not rehashing something.

I own a 1983 O'Day 25 and I have a winches that does not turn. It was working fine last season.

Does that mean it has seized? If so what or why has this happened?

Is there some approach to fixing this or is this the sort of thing that is better to just replace?

Thanks in advance.
I would take the winch apart and see what is going on. It probably needs lubrication but the fiber spool may be expanding with the heat. Try to find some info on that particular winch on the web first. Then be careful when you remove the drum. There are small springs that work with the pawls that can get lost pretty easy. Perhaps you could take a shallow cardboard box and make a hole in the bottom just large enough to fit over the drum and set it on so that if something pops out, hopefully the box will catch it. I'm sure that someone who has had this problem will chime in on it. I know that back in 1986, my Barlow #15 winches were binding up due to the inferior fiber spools that the manufacturer had used. They sent me two new spools and I've never had a problem since. I think that I've only lubed my winches once since I've own my boat new. Good luck!
Joe

Jun 22, 2010
Oday 25 Cooperstown, NY
Thanks for the quick response. I believe the winch is a Barlow #16 I've been searching around in here for a bit and found some reference material.

I'm on duty today so tomorrow morning when I go of shift I'll get a better look.

Thanks again

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks for the quick response. I believe the winch is a Barlow #16 I've been searching around in here for a bit and found some reference material.

I'm on duty today so tomorrow morning when I go of shift I'll get a better look.

Thanks again
I still have my directions for my Barlow 15s if that will help you. It's too large to upload to this site. If you want it email me and I'll send it to you. sailtrinkka1986@verizon.net

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I had a pair of Barlow 16s on my boat and no visible means of dis assembly. Barlow does not make winches anymore but I found this site:
http://maximalt.dk/Manualer/Andet/barlow-barient winch.pdf

Rich
Rich,
Was there an Allen bolt in the hole of the top cap that fits into the drum assembly of your Barlow 16s? This is how my Barlow 15 comes apart. Although, I think that the Allen head bolts that hold the top caps in my winches have stripped threads. The last time I tried to take my winches apart to lube them, the bolts wouldn't back out. I mounted those winches on my combings years ago when they were brand new and I had to take them apart to mount the winch bases. That will be my next project this fall I guess.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
No Joe, there wasn't an allen bolt or any type of fastener on my 16s.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.