Winch upside down?

Mar 26, 2023
macgregor 26s shell point
I was loading my boat the other day and someone said my wench was mounted upside down and below the trailer bracket. I looked at other trailers in the parking lot and he was correct. Most roll from the top and are mounted on the top. I posted this in another forum and had a Macgregor owner comment that his is the same way. I have a 26S and just want to make sure that the wench is mounted correctly.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Jodyjuli,

That was me from the MacGregor forum.

I would suggest you perform an image search on Google for MacGregor 26S. You will see that the standard trailer set-up has the winch on the underside of the strut. As I pointed out in my post, this is because of the position of the bow eye. Placing the winch on top would pinch the winch strap between the boat and the bumper at the front of the trailer and simply wouldn't work properly to boot.

You will find there will be people who attempt to offer helpful advice on these boats (or trailer as in this case), but are not aware of the basic differences between the MacGregor line in general nor of Roger MacGregor's somewhat eccentric nature and his willingness to think outside the box when it comes to sailboat design.

It is definitely smart on your part to get input from several authoritative sources.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here's how mine was mounted if it helps. If you don't have a roller on the trailer under the bow, you should get one. Saves gouging the hull if your ramp has a weird angle!

bow.jpg

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
They can go either way. Ideally the strap should be horizontal to the boat.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
They can go either way.
Perhaps on a trailer that is not original equipment. I have never seen, nor can I find an example in an image search on the web, where the winch was mounted above the strut that holds the nose bumper.

I agree that the strap should be as close to horizontal as possible.