Winch shims

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Fortunately, I found a couple of sets of shims for our Lewmar 65st electrics. Right part number and oh so close, but sadly they are 12 thousandths too large. Other than having new ones printed for gobs of boat bucks, can anybody think of how these could be cut down to do the job? I should think that just to make the jig to hold them in a lathe would be mega bucks, too. Our local machineist had no suggestions.
We are in the Windwards, so please don't suggest someplace that doesn't exist down here.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Could you post a photo of the part and how they have to be modified?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Find a really flat surface, like a piece of marble floor tile. Affix some sandpaper to the flat surface and sand them to thickness. A glass table top will also work.
:plus:

You are talking about these....?

1582144717572.png

Seems like sanding should do the trick.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Sorry, I forgot the pic. The part that needs to be cut down cannot be done on a flat surface.
It is the inside vertical part in the pic and it must not vary in thickness, so sanding w/o a lathe probably would not do the job.
65 shim.jpg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Just an out of the box thought here. Would it be easier to modify the part that this shim fits into?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Wrap & tape the sandpaper business-side out, around the winch. Put the shim over the paper and either rotate the shim secure it and rotate the winch. Or maybe do the same but around a can of some food.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
These shims are for the arm that holds the feeder arm in place when the winch turns. Any modification to these parts (the black line gripping parts on most winches) would remove the anodizing, which probably is not a good idea because this joint is not waterproof and salt does get in there.
But again, thanks for the input.