Winch Maintenance

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Old thread, but I thought I'd recycle with some further questions. I've not serviced my winches and want to this Friday. I've reviewed the manual and process but I'd there any chance as I remove them something will fly off into the water? I really don't want this turning into a order parts event.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Old thread, but I thought I'd recycle with some further questions. I've not serviced my winches and want to this Friday. I've reviewed the manual and process but I'd there any chance as I remove them something will fly off into the water? I really don't want this turning into a order parts event.
Lay towels all around the area so the fiberglass isn’t as bouncy. Also roll up some towels to form a barrier around the outside of the work area. I’ve also read about a strategy of cutting a hole in the bottom of a cardboard box and sliding that around the base of the winch to contain parts. I’ve never tried that myself but it’s worth considering.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I’ve also read about a strategy of cutting a hole in the bottom of a cardboard box and sliding that around the base of the winch to contain parts. I’ve never tried that myself but it’s worth considering.
I have used the cardboard box strategy. Works well; I haven't lost any winch parts yet.... Usually soak & clean with mineral spirits and lubricate gears with Lewmar grease & pawls with Lewmar oil or finish line bicycle chain lubricant as recommended by Practical Sailor.

Question: How often do you replace the pawl springs?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Teflon grease works well. You are replacing every year, correct? I do mine at spring break each year.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
@JRT,
what winches do you have on your boat? I have found that they are not all the same.

I did a video on a Lewmar 16…

And I started a video on a Barlow 27…

In general, I agree with other posters to put some towels around the cockpit and coaming to try and keep things from bouncing into the drink :(

The box around the winch is also a good idea, and even better if you put a towel inside to dampen things from bouncing out.

Be careful when you lift the drum off…bearings may be stuck in the drum, so watch so they don’t fall out in a bad place. Depending on the winch type, there may be pawls that can come out when the drum is lifted off. That would probably be the biggest damnger. On my Lewmar, if you take the ST ring off, there are pawls that can pop out…

I found my Barlow 27‘s to be the easiest, as the winch body can be taken off the base with 3 bolts…and then I could work on it in my shop. The Barlow 23’s I have wond separate from the base, but pretty easy to clean and service.
I found my lonely Lewmar 16 the most finicky…but maybe because it was the first one I ever serviced.

Greg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks all, I used 2 towels, 1 wrapped around the winch and the 2nd rolled up for extra protection. Didn't need it as drum came off fine, and only had 1 race barring stuck inside. They were in terrible gummy shape, my fault for sure putting it off so long. I finished the 2 42 jib winches so the main and spin ones will be next.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Towels work. I watched @LeslieTroyer demonstrate winch cleaning for a group of Catalina owners. He used an old sheet draped around and tented over the winch. He suggested the extra cloth could catch a loose spring or freedom seeking bearings.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I used bearing grease for the windlass and had worked well. It is waterproof, will not wash away or gum up. It is cheap. It should be good for the winch.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
A good trick for cleaning is to take some cheap 1” bristle paint brushes and cut the bristles to maybe 1/4-1/2”. Use with appropriate solvent to remove grease and clean surfaces.