Winch maintenance

Mhkent

May 21, 2020
Irwin Citation 34 Corpus Christi
I need to service my winch. It is a Barient 17. Do I need a special tool to open it up?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is the diagram and instructions for the 17 - 1SPST winch. A photo of your winch would help us help you.

16EE8DAD-C221-4E2F-B005-6F02DF4AE80B.jpeg 0BC4F94B-4F2B-437E-9409-26831C7DA9AE.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think my main halyard winch is a B17. Don't be surprised if you find worn parts. I had to work with a place in Australia to get the parts I needed in all 3 Barient winches.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sometimes the cap design means you need something to get it off...but it is just a friction threaded cap.

in the first few minutes of this video, I show the “tool” I made to remove the top caps on my Barlow and Lewmar winches.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
I like to use the trick @LeslieTroyer used. He borrowed an old sheet from his wife to wrap around the winch before undoing/opening anything. It helps to catch anything that pops out from under the winch as you try to open the winch.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Take pictures of every step of dismantling, so you can reassemble without having extra pieces left over. Then begin a folder to keep the pics in, for each of your winches.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
When I service the side winches I tape cardboard to the lifelines to prevent things from escaping overboard

For Lewmars you can get service kits that have the most common replacement springs and pawls etc.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I read somewhere that you can cut out a small circle in the bottom of a box and place it over the winch to catch roaming parts. This is, of course if you choose to do the rebuild aboard while in the water. I took the winches off and took them home. So much better working on a well lit workbench. That's not to say parts don't try to get away at home.

Oct 22, 2014
This is, of course if you choose to do the rebuild aboard while in the water.
I have done the same at home, but it is not always convenient. The box trick works to get the parts off the combing. Then I take them into the boat to work on them. Fewer parts are tempted to test their swimming abilities.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My '77 era two speed Barlows required required a hex key to remove the drum release screw, which you'll find a the bottom of the winch socket. You cannot remove the winch from the boat without lifting off the drum to get at the heads of the mounting bolts.... which are slotted, flat head bolts. That's why you'll want to carefully remove the drum, because the spring loaded pawls (which create the "ratchet" action) can easily become dislodged. The pawls are small wedges that rest in a form fitting cavity on the spindle, which is inserted through the drum's shaft. The pawls are what keeps the drum from rotating backwards. If there's grease or sludge on the pawls, they may stick to the drum when it's lifted up... you only have to see this once to actually understand the issue.

After the drum and pawls... go ahead and remove the cylindrical roller bearings and all the other moving parts... I have never used the box with a hole method, I'm sure it's effective and safe, what I've always done is place a towel around the base to keep any dropped part from bouncing. I will tell you that if you're careful you shouldn't have a problem... but the first time you do this you will not really know what to expect so it can be nerve wracking...

As far as maintenance kits.... definitely invest in one. Lewmar or Harken... the tube of grease will last a life time, cause you don't use that much.. I have six winches on my boat and I still have the tube of grease the previous owner included 20 years ago... The kits have instructions, a small applicator brush and some light weight machine oil for the pawls (never use grease on the pawls) ... replacement pawls and springs may have to be purchased separately. But I have found the Lewmar springs will work on the Barlows fine...the pawls will most likely match up too.

So... follow the instructions that come with the kit... or watch one of the zillion vids. The big difference between the various makes of winches is how the drum is removed.... so... once you've figured that out everything else is universally common. good luck