Winch Installation

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello,

I installed a self-tailing winch (to replace my non-self-tailing halyard winch) on my Flicka 20 by basically filling the previous holes (they're covered by the new winch so just with butyl tape), drilling new holes, and putting in the winch with some butyl tape lining the side of the top of the bolt to try to keep water out. I used washers on each to try to spread the load.

I now have learned that if water gets in it could rot the deck which would be incredibly expensive and that I probably should have drilled larger holes that I filled with epoxy and then drilled again to install the winches. I also could have put more butyl tape. Also, I probably should use a backing plate on the winch to spread it even more.

Should I go back and fix these, move on with the next winches using these methods, or ditch them all together?

Elliot

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Easy answer, fix them.

An alternative to a backing plate is to use double thick fender washers. Standard thickness washer will bend under load.

You can get them at McMaster-Carr or Boltdepot.com.

Mar 25, 2021
Easy answer, fix them.

An alternative to a backing plate is to use double thick fender washers. Standard thickness washer will bend under load.

You can get them at McMaster-Carr or Boltdepot.com.

Redo it for the backing plate or adding more butyl along with filling with epoxy?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Redo it for the backing plate or adding more butyl along with filling with epoxy?
Fill the old holes and over drill and fill the new hole with epoxy per the directions in the link in the last post. If you use double thick fender washers and have properly potted the new holes a backing plate isn't necessary, especially in a smaller boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t think you need backing plates…washers should be fine as the load is in shear.

You could oversize the holes and fill with epoxy, then redrill them…that is best. But I bet the old holes weren’t done that way and your cabin top is not rotting away. I have used this method when I have remove some deck hardware, but I have lots of stuff on my 30-year old boat that wasn’t done that way.

You could just use a counter-sink bit to dish out the hole a bit to hold more butyl around the neck of the fastener. If you haven’t read Mainesail‘s article about using butyl on Marinehowto.com, read it.

Gteg

Mar 25, 2021
I don’t think you need backing plates…washers should be fine as the load is in shear.

You could oversize the holes and fill with epoxy, then redrill them…that is best. But I bet the old holes weren’t done that way and your cabin top is not rotting away. I have used this method when I have remove some deck hardware, but I have lots of stuff on my 30-year old boat that wasn’t done that way.

You could just use a counter-sink bit to dish out the hole a bit to hold more butyl around the neck of the fastener. If you haven’t read Mainesail‘s article about using butyl on Marinehowto.com, read it.

Gteg
Thanks so much.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good morning Elliot.
You sail in the Pacific. There is a constant opportunity for water to wash over your Flicka's cabin.

There are some primary jobs my boat must do to keep me happy.
Number 1 on the list... Keep the water outside of the boat.

Water does not care if you have butyl or epoxy, it is constantly trying to get into your boat. So yes I would fill all holes with epoxy. Even if it means taking the boat hardware off and doing it again. The epoxy serves as a barrier to the soft inner core. Water loves soft inner cores. MaineSail's information is an excellent way to preserve/protect your boat from the damage water is trying to inflict on her.

As far as backing plates, it is your boat and your choice. It is over time that the constant wear and tear will try to break down the hardware you have on the deck. Regular washers have been used for years on all sorts of boat to hold deck hardware in place. The washeres eventually break down the fiberglass and pull through the deck. Fender washers help for a while but they eventually bend inwords forming a cone and pull through the deck. The use of backing plates (Practical Sailor posted an article on this subject) will keep the hardware in place and servicable for the longest period of time. perhaps as lon as you use your boat.

Best boat management practice:
  1. Fill holes with epoxy and paint over with gelcoat
  2. Use proper backing for attaching hardware
It is your boat and your choice. Man this is a great country to have such freedom.