winch cable or strap

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Which is better for a trailer winch on freshwater? My 1992 Mac trailer came with a steel cable that needed replacement so I went with a nylon strap version. It's only a few years old, but when I hauled the boat out this weekend the strap hook ripped clean off at the hook flap stitching. I'm thinking of going back to cable. Are there better sources than others? Do they all get rusty and nasty looking?.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have had a strap on all of my boats. I periodically cut the end off and re-tie the fresh web strap with a half hitch.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a strap but if I were to go back to cable I'd get SS cable. I've seen it as Tractor Supply.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justin;

I am not sure where you got your strap and who made it. In addition, was it the yellow two inch and what load strength was it? I would comment but need to know a few more details. Please advise. It is unusual for the hook to come off the strap unless it is a smaller one with less load strength, cheap one made in china, or simply trying to pull up too much weight if boat is not on the trailer at a certain position when winching onto the trailer all the way. Yes they have broken off for me when I was a dealer.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
UV is hard on the strap. I cover mine with a rag.

OTOH, I've had many cuts over the years on wire cables. don't miss them at all.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Dave, I got it at Northern Tool in town. It's a grayish 2" strap. I don't know the specs. I wasn't trying to drag the boat onto the trailer, just pulling it up to the trailer bow stop. After it broke and I tied the strap end to the bow eye, I was able to snug it up.That's how it sits now until I replace it.

I thought about Tractor Supply. We have them here. SS would be best I think too.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Cable is a PITA. Nylon strap is so much easier to handle. I'd cut a fresh end, melt it to prevent fraying, then re-stitch it using the original as a pattern. Be sure to use UV stabilized thread, available at Walmart or any sewing supply place.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Do you guys think 3 or 4 aluminum pop rivets would work well for attaching the strap around the hook eye instead of stitching?
Chief

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I wouldn't trust pop rivets. The load is too concentrated. I would stitch it or tie it in a knot. I use a half hitch because it is convenient and the strap bites down on itself evenly. My boat is heavy and it has never failed. It is also convent for periodic cutting and reattaching.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Cable is a PITA. Nylon strap is so much easier to handle. I'd cut a fresh end, melt it to prevent fraying, then re-stitch it using the original as a pattern. Be sure to use UV stabilized thread, available at Walmart or any sewing supply place.
No. Use waxed whipping twine doubled. Much longer lasting. Multiply the strength of the twine by the number of stitches and you will be close.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2014/01/more-on-stitching-webbing.html

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-weakest-link.html

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I hope whatever thread that gets sold with this http://www.speedystitcher.com/ is the right stuff as Ive used plenty..

I really like this stitcher.. it would make a job like re-sewing the strap very easy.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I too concur with Joe Blizzard that stitching failed. I asked about that strap and the color is grey. I would suggest that new strap 2 inch wide with minimum 4000 pound strength which is yellow, not grey be purchased. I would not stich, pop rivet nor try to apply whipping line. This is an area not to screw around with. I made it a policy to buy my tie downs first at a truck stop because there they had to be better made for use on the trucks. Second were automotive shops and third, Northern Tool.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for all the advice guys. i was thinking of going back to cable but I will check with the trailer and tractor places first. It gives me an excuse to go to the Big Tool Store. They sell trailer and carry all the good tools :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Status report: I ended up with another web strap. This one is black and the stitch pattern is better. It doesn't look like the 'zipper' pattern of the old stitching.
I'm thinking it might be wise to build a short safety cable to attach between the trailer and bow eye in case the strap should separate again. Sort of like the ball hitch safety chain.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Nylon will fail relatively quickly as it is not UV stable. Polypropylene strap is somewhat better and is also flexible, in a sense that it will act as a shock absorber. The best choice for strap material would be polyester, ideally tubular strap. Just my thoughts without going into legalities.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
Best advice is to learn what sun rot and UV damage look like and try doing a little maintenance on it. Cut off hook and 6-7 inches of strap every 4-5 years and resew with wifes Singer , you can easily get 10-15 years use out of any strap, and use nylon ony. poly is way to weak.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
For the trailer hitch, I agree. I never see a safety line for the bow eye though.
I have one on mine ... just make sure to release it before you start letting the winch strap out. :eek:

What a PITA. I have made that mistake. The bow eye slipped over the first roller before the chain went tight but not far enough for the eye to slip out from under the roller... so it got jammed up. I had to back the truck up until the tail pipe was blowing fume bubbles so I could float the bow eye off of the roller and loosen the chain.