Will this trailer work?

Aug 21, 2013
Catalina 250 Wing Beaver Lake - Starkey
Thanks Dave. Yeah I talked to a trailer guy down in Houston after that post and he said the exact same thing. I need to strengthen the keel support.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use to be a Catalina dealer introducing the Catalina 250 wing keel. @Daveinet hit it on the nailhead what to consider first. You have to have a stout keel tray on the trailer to carry the weight of the boat. The Cat 25 trailer is designed to carry the weight of the swing keel only; therefore, you have to modify the trailer for a stout keel tray which has to be wider. Then look at the tire times four to see if they will carry the load of the boat and trailer combined. Once done you can use either the pads or bunk boards which ever to insure stability of the boat. You will need a long extension for the traler as the one on a swing keel 25 is not long enough. Suggest surge brakes if none and knowledge of the long ramps as well.

I was asked by a friend of mine, Ron who is deceased, to help with the design for the 250 wb and fixed keel trailers.

Aug 21, 2013
Catalina 250 Wing Beaver Lake - Starkey
Thanks for the input Dave. I didn't think to check the tire ratings. I'll do that. The trailer does have an extension, which I didn't have extended. But my truck was in the water up over the bumper. I think I can extend the tongue about five more feet, which I will have to do since I will be raising the bunks. Hopefully its enough.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Something you might be able to do is extend the hitch, rather than the trailer tong. For ~100 bucks, you can buy a 18 inch receiver extension. I see an advantage in that most boat ramps level out after you get into the water. Extending the truck hitch puts the tong lower in the water, making it easier to get the boat on. You will also find have the pivot point farther away from your rear axle makes it easier to steer the trailer when baking up. If 18 inches is enough, it might be easier to use. If you tow it with the extension, make sure you are within the load limits for the reduced tong weight.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
10 foot extension as you are launching a fixed keel. Launched many but also know you need to know the length of the ramps before you do.
Once an out of state fool launched his 250 wing keel on a short ramp getting into trouble. Walked over offering my help and was told to get lost. I left only to return the next day at the request of state park rangers and took care of the matter substantially charging for my services due to his fat lip the day before when I would have not charged. When the wife asked questions of my knowledge and experience she really let Mr owner have it.

Last edited: