• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Will this trailer work?

Aug 21, 2013
Catalina 250 Wing Beaver Lake - Starkey
I'm getting ready to purchase a used trailer for my 2001 Catalina 250 Wing Keel. The trailer I'm looking at was used for a Catalina 25 swing keel. The trailer has bunks vs. individual supports with pads. I think my draft is a little taller than what this one had. Maybe 12 inches or so taller on each riser. I'm buying this one because the price is right and I think I can get it to work with some simple modifications. I would like to remove the bunk and use the screw jack pads. Any thoughts on whether this will work or not? Any experts? I have a welder friend that will help me modify if needed. Thanks. See pictures attached.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Nameless Revelstoke
I’m definitely no expert so... unless you can buy a trailer made for your boat your stuck with making something work which is probably doable in this case with what you have. I’m sure there’s going to be some costs but probably less expensive than sourcing a trailer ready made for your boat, especially if your handy with metal cutting and welding.

My trailer looks like it started out like yours and was modified and it seems to work fine. I don’t know the history of it. Here’s some photos of what they made work, let me know if you need more detailed pics and I can do that next time I put it in the water.

E02A9678-6CF9-4C32-BF93-E9CF04C67A98.jpeg49E22025-125E-4DD4-A714-E65F9FEE808D.jpeg8F56921E-3596-40D4-B14F-DADFAC8C7F2C.jpeg

Aug 21, 2013
This definately helps. Thank you. I like the keel guide.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Just one thing to point out. My previous boat had a lead in and centering guides for the keel. The problem I had was with the angle of the trailer, and the water being level, my keel was always well above the guides. I always had to recenter the boat as I pulled it out of the water. Otherwise the keel was sitting on the guides, rather than in between.

Aug 21, 2013
Makes sense. Something to think about. Maybe it needs more of a trough that connects to the base and is a little wider than the wing. I don’t know.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Enigma Milwaukee
I would keep the bunks as opposed to the adjustable pads . The bunks support the hull over a larger area. The pads need very careful alignment to the inner bulkheads .It can be done ,just need to be much more diligent.
I also added goal post and keel guides to help align . huge difference ,especially in a cross wind

Jul 23, 2019
This is what I think is also important, notice the big V for the keel and how they taper it all the way to the front of the keel..... really helps it glide into position. I’m with Tim R in having bunks that support a larger area of the hull.
5FF968A3-7A51-415C-B5CB-C86E9F3D6EEA.jpeg

Aug 21, 2013
My thought on the pads was that if I need to paint the bottom, it would be easier with pads. Any thoughts on that?

Jul 23, 2019
Id rather have the hull support and jack it up for the occasional paint. When you look at trailers built for your boat do they have bunks or pads?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I would keep the bunks as opposed to the adjustable pads . The bunks support the hull over a larger area. The pads need very careful alignment to the inner bulkheads .It can be done ,just need to be much more diligent.
I also added goal post and keel guides to help align . huge difference ,especially in a cross wind
The bunks or pads neither one should support the boat. The weight of the boat should primarily rest on the keel. The bunks are there to keep the boat from rocking side to side. Otherwise you can warp the hull. Even bunks sag under the weight of the boat, such that the high point is under the bracing. Even standing on a bunk, you will see it sag quite a bit.

Yes goal posts help a lot, especially on a windy day.

Aug 21, 2013
All good points. I can purchase a couple jacks to lower one bunk at a time when painting I guess. The pictures I've seen for the Catalina 250s on a trailer seem to be pads.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2013
1567730025813.png

Here's the same model as mine on a trailer with pads.