Will it blow over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmy Richter

I am 1 day away form buying a 1980 Macgregor Venture. As I was shoping for a boat I was told a story from a Cat owner trying to sell me his boat not to buy a Mac because of how easy they can blow over in little wind. Is this true or was he trying to make a sell? Thanks Jimmy.

R

Richard Wallace

Not A Problem

I have had an 85 MacGregor 25 since the late 80's and have sailed it on both inland lakes and Lake Erie. We have kept it on Lake Erie since the early 90's. As long as you use a little discretion, the boat will serve you well. The swing keel has a lock-down bolt that is above and forward of the main hinge bolt. If that is properly installed after the keel is lowered, it will make the keel stay down if the boat gets laid over and set you right back up. Again, a little discretion when the wind is strong and you will have a ball.

T

Tim Woodall

Venture Cat a Pleasure to sail

I had a Macgregor Venture 15 for several years and sailed in all types of weather... including some pretty stiff (25-35kt) days, and never had any problem single-handing her. very sporty, stable, well-mannered catamaran. I'd absolutely recommend a venture cat as a great way to get out on the water.

J

John Goacher

Catamaran?

Sorry, but I don't think this post is concerning a Catamaran. A friend of mne started with a MacGregor 25 and had a ball, but in the strong Lake Huron winds was scared enough to move to a Bayfield 25 which had owned for 4 or 5 years before recently moving to a Douglas 32. From my own experience in a Venture 22 (which moved me from inland lakes to the Great Lakes), I do not recommed MacGregors for cruising ar anything more than short coastal day-sails. But for that, they are fun. Hope you enjoy your new boat. John

Status
Not open for further replies.