Will I be a Dutchman or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I haven't experienced any noise from flapping; not sure if you mean from the lazy jacks on the mast or the pack itself. I've had neither but the lazy jack lines up the side of the mast could make noise if not using a cord (bungee) to keep it off.
My lazy jack sail cover had a full lenth batten on each side of main along top of sail cover. Did not flap. Lazy jack lines were connected along batten which then connected to the mast at the spreader. Lines did not make any noise because lines were always attached to lazy jack sail cover. Was setup so I never had to make any adjustments coming or going. Left halyard attached to head of sail and pulled excess halyard away from mast and clipped to boom. All I had to do was unzip leave the slip. Get to were I was ready for sail and with out leaving cockpit hoist away. Coming back If I did it right I could let the halyard go and most times sail would fall right back down into sail cover. Zip it up back at the slip. K.I.S.S.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2012
Down Easter Downeast 45 Titusville
Once again, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I have learned a lot about the various methods of handling a mainsail. The Dutchman sounds very interesting and logical, but since I have to buy a new mainsail for any system I am pretty certain I will go for the Facnor, behind-mast enclosed roller furling, by Charleston Spar, Charlotte, North Carolina.
I have already used their Facnor driver and mandrel on my roller furling square sail, which will soon be run up the foremast to make my little ship into a Brigantine. For those who are interested this can be seen on my website www.schooner-britannia.com.
By the way, there is also a page of items for sale, including my original Stow-away and mainsail, which I now wish to sell.
I think it’s fair to say all types of mainsail handling methods require a period of adjustment and learning, but it sounds like most sailors can adapt their choice to their type of sailing, because nobody has actually said they hate their system.
I hope this applies to me also.
Jollyroger.

Status
Not open for further replies.