Will Asymmetrical Spinnaker work?

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
@Hamish_s if you are racing, then base the length on SPL in your PHRF rating. If you are not racing, you wouldn't notice the difference in performance. The only reason you might go for a longer sprit is to be make it easier to jibe the asym inside (between the tack and the forestay). If you find it too hard to jibe inside you could try it outside but just keep track of the lazy sheet, it could go under the boat if you're not careful.
Great advice D'Arcy. It's a Hunter!! I mean, I don't expect her to be a high performance craft but race occasionally, and get smoked by my friend's C&C35 - I have to do what I can. And, I can bring the sheets around the outside solo without drowning them. Thanks.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
One thing you could try is an adjustable tack line to be able to adjust the height of the tack. Down wind let if float a bit to get a bit more belly in the sail, on a reach bring the tack down to straighten the luff. I've raced on and against C&C35s and they do sail very nicely. Your 386 is very closely rated to the C&C 35. Looking at the numbers I suspect the C&C would do better up wind and you should do better downwind where your longer water line would count for more than the C&C's deeper draft and higher ballast ratio.
Now if you are racing windward leeward and the C&C has a symmetrical spinnaker, you might find it challenging to keep up. The asymmetrical won't do well dead downwind but I can't find polars for your boat so I really don't know your optimal jibe angles but in 10 knots of wind I'd guess somewhere around 150°. Sail higher in lighter wind, deeper in bigger wind.

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
Great thoughts. The tack is adjustable from the cockpit, so depending on my angle of attack, the tack of the sail actually flies at least another 1 foot out from the tack cleat.

And my friend and I each solo, so, it's far harder for him to manage the symmetrical.

Just my second year and perhaps I ought to train my self more before I blame my equipment.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
He solos a C&C 35 with a symmetrical spinnaker ??!? :wow3:
Forget everything I said, you should be asking him for tips.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hamish. I recommend for your reading, Frank Bethwaite “Fast Handling Technique”.

it will help with your competitive spirit.