Will 3/8" Sta-Set X be a good replacement?

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
It looks like the previous owner used 3-Strand Safety line in either 1/2" or 7/16".

Do you think 3/8" Sta-Set X will make good halyards on my 81 Hunter 33?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I dislike Sta-Set X too. Gets kinky, it's stiff, performance isn't all it should be, etc.
3/8 may be small on your hand - I like a little more meat on my halyards just for the handling of them, but that's personal preference.
My C-30 did indeed have 3/8" halyards. I found them small.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do you think 3/8" Sta-Set X will make good halyards on my 81 Hunter 33?
Absolutely not. X sucks, big time.
Buy Samsom stuff, for that it's better. X is about the only NER that is bad news. Regular StaySet is NG for halyards on our sized boats.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
Well I don't want wirey... Line management in the cockpit is mandatory.

I'm thinking that 3/8" of today's lines would be equivalent to 7/16" of the 70s and 80s. Any one else have a thought about that?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Strength? 3/8 with a Dyneema core (like Samson MLX3) is more than plenty. 10mm Samson MLX3 has a tensile strength of 7700lbs. One would hope your halyard tension is much less than that.

My earlier point was do you like to grab and pull it. Smaller lines are tougher to yank on. Also make sure it's good in your rope clutches, if'n you have rope clutches.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
3/8 is fine.... depending on your budget.... almost every chandlery online will have a strength chart for the various lines. The keyword for your halyard search is "performance double braid"... All the rope manufacturers will offer choices in that category. Choose the one that fits your budget, and or course, fits the winch, cleat and blocks that'll be used to control them. That said, for a cruising sailboat, good quality double braid polyester, such as Samson XLS, will certainly work, but check the strength chart to make sure it's in your comfort level. BTW, I've never had a problem with 3/8" halyards, especially if you wear gloves. You don't handle the halyard near as much as the sheets anyway. I know Dave sells rope products here on SBO... but I'm going to provide this link to show you how easy it is to learn about running rigging. Have fun.
Selecting Line for Running Rigging | West Marine
Choosing Running Rigging | Sailing World

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Sta-SetX is a pretty discredited line, dont use for anything. With a low stretch line, 3/8" is as big as you should go. Consider VPC, your sail area may be similar to a P31-2 see

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I would defer to 7/16" by that point.

I use Yale ULS and its antecedent, UULS. Very soft on the outside, seems to be very kink-free, with lower stretch stats than Sta-Set/Sta-Set X. I am not a fan of NER at all - my longtime preference has always been Sampson XLS (new version: XLS3, available at Defender, Fisheries Supply, Vela, and a couple of others - check stock before getting your hopes up).

Awkward but true: the only reason so many people use NER at all is because Big Blue sells it (actually used to own it) and it's all they know. Ironically I bought all my Yale UULS from a West Marine (where I was manager) that was closing; it had been a BoatUS store and district management would not move the old stock to the new superstore if it wasn't still something WM would carry. I think I paid 0.08/ft for +/-350 ft of 3/8" (wicked laugh boowahahahahahahahahahahaha).

• Ha